View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
No, the data is NOT public. Just because it is not encrypted does not make it so.

When crew or a company send a message on ACARS, you are not the intended recipient. You are eavesdropping. Sometimes ACARS is used to send information that is best not transmitted over the radio.
If they are sending via the airways, unencrypted then what ever is said is quite clearly in the public domain, regardless of weather we are the intended recipient or not. It is no different to making a radio call over the public airways or a phone call for that matter.

Quote:
For example, a lot of work seems to have been done in making good relations with the airlines, with Virgin acknowledging the group for the arrival of its first aircraft. I wonder what their ops control/security departments would say if they find their company confidential transmissions and flight attendants details turning up on the spotting website? At the very least I'm sure that it wouldn't do the image of the group much good.
They are not company confidential if sent over public airways. They are after all broadcast over the public airways unencrypted, then routed via a third party company (often SITA) so they can hardly be called confidential in any way shape or form.

Quote:
Feel free to disagree, but if you are going to attack my ideas, please make the effort to construct something other than "but the personal details have been removed", as that is not my point.
Well I think you have your knickers in a knot over nothing. The OP did enough to protect the identity of the crew member and posted something which gives us an insight into how airlines and the authorities are treating what is a very serious subject. Graham should be congratulated for doing that. It is whinges like this that discourage people from Graham contributing to this board.