View Single Post
Old 19th October 2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
CAR 1988, Regulation 309A:

(1) Subject to subregulation (2), the operator, or pilot in command, of an Australian aircraft may give an instruction, either orally or in writing, prohibiting or limiting the doing of an act on board the aircraft during flight time in the aircraft.

(2) The operator, or pilot in command, must not give an instruction unless he or she is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the instruction is necessary in the interests of the safety of air navigation.

(3) An instruction does not bind a person unless it is communicated to the person.

(4) A person who is bound by an instruction must comply with the instruction.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(5) An offence against subregulation (4) is an offence of strict liability.

Note For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.
It angers me when people quite happily break the law, regardless of whether they think it has any effect on the flight or not.

For those who can't understand what the above says, here it is in plain english:

What you are told over the cabin PA by the flight attendants, is basically a direction from the Pilot in Command. Should you choose to ignore these instructions (ie. leaving your electronic device or your phone on when you have been told to turn it off), you are committing an offence of strict liability (look up that section of the Criminal Code).

As the Pilot in Command of such flights like the one you were on, I don't find it amusing that you are ignoring my instructions.

Paul