View Single Post
Old 27th April 2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Nigel, what I mean is that say your cruise altitude is FL360, once you are told by ATC "cancel speed restrictions" can you can climb direct to FL360 and ignore the step climb/height restrictions of the SID?
Nick, "cancel speed restrictions" has nothing to do with heights or altitudes. It simply means, as Owen has said, that the charted speed restriction (typically 250kts below 10,000ft) can be exceeded below 10,000ft.

All altitude/level clearences generally require a specific "Climb to.... / Descend to ...." instruction.

Quote:
Owen I am looking at the Jeppesen chart for Katoomba 1 and Wollongong 9, and can't see any altitude restrictions apart from altitudes assigned for direction/track changes. There are speed/climb gradients listed but thats all. Does this mean you climb direct to your assigned cruise altitude unless ATC state otherwise?
The Sydney SIDs probably aren't the best examples of mandatory crossing altitude restrictions (I think they're all conditional). However, numerous European ports have them on departure, with requirements such as "Cross [waypoint] at or below 6000ft".

The Sydney STARs, on the other hand, generally have one. Usually it's a requirement to "Cross [waypoint] at or below 9000ft" (eg. see the requirements at TAMMI and BOOGI on the Rivet Nine arrival). Cancellation of height requirements in this case would relieve the pilots of the need to meet the 9000ft / 6000ft restrictions in that procedures.