View Single Post
Old 4th August 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A View Post
How's your setup going Henning?
It's quite good. But as expected my reception varies for different directions. I am running SBSplotter since today and will post a screenshot the with the SBSplotter outlines the next days.
I've got the best reception in the north-east. North-west is ok. But west and south there is a hill in the way and in the east there are two houses.

In the north-east direction I have received a couple of flights today north of Port MacQuarie. And the plane that was the most far away was a Pacific Blue Airlines 737-800. I received it 237.7NM away in north-east direction.

I have also downloaded ShipPlotter now as the SBS-3 can also receive AIS signals. I've got an ocean view from my apartment and now I always know which ships I can see out there. It's really cool. And for AIS I don't even have a special antenna.

For ADS-B I am using the GP1090 antenna with a 5m Aircell 5 cable. Unfortunately I cannot mount my antenna outside. It's a rental apartment. So I've got the antenna right behind the window. For these circumstances I am really satisfied with my reception.

I am currently running BaseStation, PlanePlotter as MLat-Ground Station, Active Display Lite for the Aircraft Details, Flight Display to get route data and pictures and SBSplotter for to review my reception. I have also downloaded a PP Addon called PP2GM to show the flights on a Google Maps map. But I didn't have time to test that, yet.
I've got operator logos installed and downloaded detailed outlines for the SYD area. Also a waypoint file with all the airports around SYD.

After setting all this up, I like the SBS-3 much more than my RadarBox. I can do a lot more with it. But I really hope that Kinetic will update the BaseStation software one day. It looks very old fashioned.
My favourite solution would be an out-of-the box solution like the RadarBox software with all the data that PlanePlotter provides and the configurability of BaseStation plus undockable windows so that I can show several views at the same time on different screens.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am also feeding flightradar24.

And if any of you guys thinks that I might need another great add-on that I've missed so far, just let me know :-)

Last edited by Henning S; 4th August 2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention FlightRadar