View Single Post
Old 5th February 2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Spot on Dickson. Rudd (and for that matter Gillard), in his capacity as PM and now as Foreign Minister, has been making 'feel-good' and 'hard-hitting' comments now for years. But the truth of the matter is, nobody except gullible Australians believe or act on a word he is saying.

How many times have we all heard the phrase "I/We call on the Iraqi/Fijian/Zimbabwean/Chinese etc Government to blah, blah, blah, blah....". Like they give a toss what Rudd has to say about their internal matters.
Most of them just tell our Govt to mind their own business, but if we do something they don't like........
Unfortunately I think the outcome will be - Rudd or the government would say something along the lines of: "we've provided 'n' number of charter flights" so we've met the expectation of the Australian public. It's up to Australians stuck at Cairo to make their way to the airport and if they don't it's unfortunate for them etc."

Totally agree Nigel, our foreign influence is not as high as Rudd would like to think, especially in that part of the region. If its the US or China etc. it may be a different story.. and then there's this: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australi...204-1aguq.html

Also it is interesting that the initial news stories indicated there were some 3000 Australians stuck in Cairo, I wonder how accurate this number is

Last edited by D Chan; 5th February 2011 at 10:18 AM.