View Single Post
Old 21st April 2011, 11:56 AM

Default SYD - AKL - SYD Pt 2

Auckland City and Rotorua

After earlier email discussions with local D Ramsay, I had booked the nearby Bella Vista Express hotel. We dumped bags and then headed straight back to the airport to get acquainted with the spotting area (Puhinui Rd) we saw whilst on short finals. It was an easy location to get to, and offered some great potential which was later proven! BUT, as the rain was still falling, and we had to meet DR for drinks/dinner, we headed back to the hotel.
Shortly, our ride (DR in the ghastly yellow Ford Falcon NOT to be missed) arrived and we were taken into Auckland City for some drinks at the Princess Wharf, before heading to the Angus Steakhouse for some dinner. Now, whilst IN New Zealand, I went for the Rack of Lamb, whilst JL had a 1.3kg steak and DR had an Eye Fillet, but the meals were fantastic! A great night of chatting, food and drinks, thanks DR for your hospitality and for the lift!
Saturday morning was an early wake-up and we hit the restaurant for breakfast, or so we thought... It was a breakfast, of sorts - cereals, coffee/tea and pastries, where's the eggs, bacon etc? So we had a quick bite to eat and then headed for the airport as ZK-OAB was to have a 7am departure! We got to the carpark, and then headed over to the multi-story carpark and set up just in time to see it depart. It was dark still, light was difficult but, I got it all the same... Oh well, I will see what happens I thought!

ZK-OAB by AussiePomm, on Flickr
We then headed across to the Golden Arch's for something a little more substantial (if it ever can be) and then across to Puhinui Rd spotting park. It is a great location with a tiered carpark arrangement and bins for rubbish. About the only thing it is missing is a toilet, but with some bushes just to the rear, that makes up for it! We spotted here almost all day, and there was some great things to get, but by the end of the day, I was SO over anything ANZ!

Spotting NZ744 by AussiePomm, on Flickr

ZK-LGF by AussiePomm, on Flickr

ZK-OAB by AussiePomm, on Flickr

HL7488 by AussiePomm, on Flickr

B-HXJ by AussiePomm, on Flickr

A6-EDD by AussiePomm, on Flickr
We headed back into Auckland City via Parnell (where I've stayed before) in order to get a silhouetted photo of the city skyline with the setting sun. As the large full moon was rising, we headed over the Harbour Bridge so as we could try and get a shot of it over the city, that failed, so we then headed a little north to get a night shot of the city of Auckland.

AKL Sunset by AussiePomm, on Flickr

19032011 Moon AKL by AussiePomm, on Flickr

AKL Night by AussiePomm, on Flickr
After this, it was now getting late, we headed back over to the Auckland Fish Markets for some dinner, and had Chinese, GO FIGURE!! When parking, we wondered if we could afford it as there was four Ferrari's already parked! After dinner, we headed back to the hotel, as it was a day trip to Rotorua in the morning...
Sunday was a fantastic morning, and we hit the road early after checking out. It was to be about a 3 hour drive down, and a coffee stop along the way helped. Arrival into Rotorua was a cool morning, and I got to the visitor center to collect tickets easily enough. The day was to be an adventure day, with the Skyswing and luge rides to be had! Both of which were fantastic!

Jaydens Video SKYSWING

Bernie's video SKYSWING

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images