View Single Post
Old 4th October 2018, 08:28 PM

Default Two options

I accept that the two call options were MINIMUM FUEL or MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY FUEL. However, the latter is intended for use when the aircraft requires immediate assistance as a result of the fuel condition. That suggests that the 'no further delay' priority afforded a MINIMUM FUEL aircraft was regarded as insufficient. That's the aspect that I'm curious about. Right now it seems to me that a MINIMUM FUEL call should have been made earlier instead of waiting to the point where the more urgent status was indicated.

If in doubt I agree with going for the safer option and maybe after a long flight across the Pacific into a busy airport at a busy time of day the more serious status was thought necessary to secure the priority required.

The ATSB inquiry will be interesting. Also interesting that there appears to be a significant difference in airport response to a low fuel MAYDAY and the PAN condition we had last year with the REX SAAB that lost a prop. I'd have expected that to have been a MAYDAY call.