View Single Post
Old 14th January 2014, 12:06 PM

Default Trip Report: QF BNE-SYD-BNE 747 + 738 (Photos)

Introduction:

Last Sunday (January 12), I went down to Sydney for the day for some spotting. Hadn’t flown in 2 months, that’s just way to long for me Also hadn’t been on QF8 for a bit over a year so I had to do that again! I booked the flights a couple of months before hand, I would catch QF8 down to Sydney and QF548 back to Brisbane. I chose 548 because it was the only flight in the late afternoon/evening which was to be operated by a Boeing 767 (last time for me on a QF B763 was May 2011!). But a few weeks prior to the trip it ended up being switched to a Boeing 737-800! Anyway I was still very much looking forward to the quick trip!

Brisbane Airport:

Woke up at 5am, didn’t get too much sleep as I went to the Big Bash game at the Gabba the night before! Mum drove me to the airport and we arrived just before 6am. Check-in was quick and easy, as was customs and security. Soon I was over at Gate 79, just before my plane arrived!

But first was A6-EDP arriving from Dubai

There she is! VH-OEE arrives from Dallas!

I’ve had a very good run with QF8! Four times I’ve done the flight and I’ve flown on four different aircraft! OEI in May 2011, OEJ in April 2012, OEG in November 2012 and now OEE in January 2014!

OEE at the gate with OJS in the background arriving from Singapore

Boarding started at around quarter past seven. Was looking forward to getting back on a Jumbo!

January 12, 2014
Qantas
QF8
BNE-SYD
VH-OEE B744
Seat 55K

My view from Seat 55K

Flight Map

Load on the flight looked to be pretty decent surprisingly. At a very rough guess I’d say in the 200-250 range. Still a light load I guess considering the B744ERs have 364 seats. The seat next to me was un-occupied.

Lining up on 19

Still had a nice early rotation! The power of those engines is remarkable! It pushes you back into your seat on take-off!

Passing the domestic

We were then treated to a great view of the international. Check out the size difference between the A380 and the B738s and look how faded that red Virgin B738 is!!!

Nice big turn!