View Single Post
Old 5th April 2011, 07:33 PM

Of all the cadet programs out there, the Qantas program is about the only one which I thought was sensible, value for money. Unfortunately they don't appear to have run it over the last couple of years. Maybe something to do with a certain other airlines cadet sha... I mean scheme........?

I'd be a bit more supportive of "other" airlines cadetships if they weren't there to rip off cadets, place them on seperate agreements to the rest of the pilot body and to ensure airline execs received bonuses because of the 'success' of the cadet sha... ah there I go again, scheme.

For those who aren't aware, there is currently a Senate Inquiry going on concerning pilot training and airline safety standards (among many other things!) in Australia. While many will argue the bias that Pprune provides with such a topic, there is a thread there concerning the Senate Inquiry that is well worth a read. Contains links to many reports by Plane Talking's Ben Sandilands. He seems like he's the only journo to have his finger on the pulse so to speak, about the going's on of the Senate Inquiry.

I only have a bit over 8 years of experience in the aviation industry and all of that has been in General Aviation, so I can only provide a point of view from my experience over those years, but I (and also shared by many others in the industry) am growing more and more concerned about the number of young people who are so tunnel visioned on getting an airline job, that they don't explore all possibilities and avenues that are available to them. In particular, training and the range of jobs available to them once they are qualified.

One of the major impacts this will have on the industry in the long term is the lack of pilots coming through the ranks to keep this very vital part of the Australian Aviation Industry going. I don't think people understand how important GA is to Australia, which can have major implications later on.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, is for those who are thinking of entering the industry, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!

Mick