View Single Post
Old 6th January 2011, 07:00 AM

Default TRIP REPORT: Air New Zealand OOL-AKL-OOL (Photos + Video!)

After converting my New Zealand Dollars for US Dollars (for my Vietnam trip later this year), we went straight through outbound screening, only stopping because Mum forgot to get a liquid out of her carry-on and put it in her checked baggage before she checked in. It turned out to be Kiwi Willy Wash, a Christmas present for my Dad from his sister. Needless to say, it made everyone in earshot laugh their heads off, even the Customs Officers.
Once airside, Mum & Dad went to look at the shops, while I pulled up a chair next to 747-400 ZK-NBT, and watched a few other international aircraft taxi around. The reflective windows didn’t help the photos much.

Air New Zealand Boeing 747-400 ZK-NBT.

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCI.

Qantas Jetconnect Boeing 737-800 ZK-ZQC.

NetJets Gulfstream G-V N508QS takes to the skies.

Panorama of part of the airside departures hall.

Mum & Dad came back shortly afterwards, and we headed to the international pier.

We got some food from Burger King, if you could call it that. I was surprised that Auckland Airport doesn’t have a lot of choice of food airside. Apparently it’s all landside. Compare it to Sydney Airport, when you have fast food restaurants left, right, and centre. It seems that AKL only had a Burger King and expensive bars airside. But they still have at least three Whitcoulls stores around the international terminal. Oh well, it didn’t really affect me. I just appreciated what I got, really. But I didn’t just sit around and judge food all day, I also took photos!

Air New Zealand Boeing 747-400 ZK-NBV.

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCJ.

Cathay Pacific Airbus A340-300 B-HXH.

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCG. This aircraft was operating a scheduled VIP charter flight to Nagoya as NZ1921.

Air New Zealand Airbus A320 ZK-OJC.

After having some fun taking photos, I saw that ZK-OJD was being towed out of its stand-off bay. I wondered if this would be the aircraft that I was flying on today. Sure enough, it was towed into Gate 1, where I would be departing from. Yay, it’s not ZK-OJA!

My ride for today - Air New Zealand Airbus A320 ZK-OJD being towed to Gate 1.

We headed downstairs not long after to sit and wait for boarding.

Our flight.

Not long after we sat down, priority boarding calls were made. I must say, the lady who made the calls was very professional. She explained who she was going to call first, then a minute later, started calling those passengers up for boarding. It was pretty quick to board; all you had to do was walk down an aerobridge. Finding my seat again wasn’t too hard, and this time I had a very good view of the window. I didn’t have to lean forward at all!

View out the window. OJM is just being towed to the gate.

The IFE units were working this time, so I was very pleased!

Airshow on IFE unit.

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)