View Single Post
Old 21st April 2011, 11:58 AM

Default SYD _ AKL _ SYD The Return!

AKL - SYD EK413 A6-EDM

Another three hour drive back and we were back into Auckland airport filling up the Hilux with diesel and returning back to Europcar. Checking in was again, quick and easy and with the express immigration counter at the EK check-in desk for First, Business and Skywards GOLD, that was also an easy process! A visit to the Emirates Lounge in Auckland was also a very pleasant experience, but with no windows to look through, a VERY full lounge as well, I found it a little disappointing. Great selections of food/drinks were on hand (of course) but I just found the ambiance a little off-putting! Our flight was called and we headed over to the gate. One of EK's newest A380's was sitting at the gate. This time though, we were to head upstairs for the Business experience, seats 18A for JL and 20A for me! Again, I was welcomed back by the CSM, and we were served pre flight drinks and nuts. Business Class seats were very comfy!

EK A380 20A by AussiePomm, on Flickr

B&C with Nuts by AussiePomm, on Flickr
Menu's were handed out prior to departure and soon we would taxi out to runway 05R for departure. Takeoff roll seemed long, and once airborn, was bumpy until through clouds in the area. Seatbelt signs were soon off and the cabin crew were taking orders for the dinner service. I had the Smoked Salmon Entree, Prawns and Lemongrass Cyrry with Rice and Veges and the White Chocolate Mousse for dessert.

Smoked Salmon Entree by AussiePomm, on Flickr

Prawns Lemongrass Sauce with Rice Veges by AussiePomm, on Flickr

White Chocolate Mousse by AussiePomm, on Flickr
As the sun was now setting, it was time to go to the Bar (as you do on an EK A380 Business Class) for a drink and a chat...

Sunset over the Tasman Sea by AussiePomm, on Flickr

EK A380 Business Bar by AussiePomm, on Flickr
I went back to my seat, another drink, and then I actually got some sleep... Soon though, it was time to start descending into Sydney, and we actually tracked out over the Western Suburbs (over my house) before lining up for a 16R arrival. It was wet, we could see that on the monitors (Tail Cam) and through the window, and it seemed as though we were approaching at a bit of a funny angle... We hit the runway with an almighty THUD, one of, if not the HARDEST landings I have ever experienced...

Deplaning and clearing Immigration, was again relatively painless with an Express Card, and before too long, our ride was waiting to drive us home... All up, a great weekend away, great flights and spotting and great company!
Hope you enjoy the read, the pics/vid, and I hope it wasn't TOO long, sorry if it was!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images