View Single Post
Old 12th July 2012, 11:11 AM

Now, the highlight of the day, as I said, was the EK and China Airlines departures. We were pretty restricted as to where we could go, and as such, due to runway operations, photography oportunities were backlight for the two departures. BUT, it was still great!

30th June 2012 KL4628 PRG-AMS
DEP PRG 14.00 (schedule/actual)
ARR AMS 15.35 (schedule/actual)
SEAT 8F
Fokker 70 PH-WXA

The time had come to get back into the air, and it was time to leave Prague. After meeting with JP's dad, and a walk around for an overview of the city, we jumped on the train out to Dejvicka and then the bus to the airport. There are works to extend the metro, but still not all the way out to the airport.

As I had already checked-in online, it was simply a matter of retrieving my boarding pass doing bag drop and I was done! We went around to T1 for a quick look, had some lunch and then to the viewing deck (again, so much better than at SYD airport). Clearing immigration/security, and I headed to my departure gate where my awaiting aircraft was at the gate. This would be my first time on this type, F70, and I was looking forward to it! Boarding was called, and it was quickly apparent that this flight would be full!! We were met once again, by a lovely KL crew, and were soon being pushed back just after the door was closed. Listening to the engines spool up, was a nice surprise, as they seemed pretty quiet! JP had a seat near the engines on his F70 flight across to AMS a few days prior, but I opted for forward of the wings, after an SK MD82 flight a few years back when I was right against the engine! Never again I had thought! A powerful takeoff and we were skywards again. I found the aircraft to be quite comfortable, and given my 6'3" height, I had ample legroom for the hour and a bit flight. The usual sweet or savoury snack was offered with the usual drink service.

Before to long, alas, we were descending into AMS, although this time, we missed the Polderbaan. We were however running parallel with another F70 landing out there… Passing through immigration, again painless, and whilst waiting for my bag I organised my train ticket into Amsterdam Central. the train into/out of Amsterdam is so easy, two stops and we were there! I then had to walk through the infamous 'Red Light District' to get to my hotel. I had a quick shower to freshen up and hit the town for a meal. here though, eating was very interesting as my hay fever had escalated to an extreme level, making eating AND breathing at the same time, incredibly difficult! Pollen counts in Europe were extreme, and I was paying for it! Anyway a good nights sleep fixed it a little…

The following day, I headed back out to the airport, and I hired a car for the day to get around. I searched for the lotations, and armed with google maps, I followed the constantly changing runway ops. I eventually found a little place, and settled in for a bit - that is, until a rain belt hit so I called it a day…

The rest of my time in Amsterdam, was attending the Horticulture Expo, Floriade in Venlo. IF you want to see some of the photos, OR the video/slideshow, by all means please…

Floriade - Horticulture Expo

4th July 2012 - The Long Haul Home

This will continue in another post... Stay tuned!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images