View Single Post
Old 10th April 2014, 09:17 PM

Default Trip Report: Alliance & Qantaslink BNE-MKY-BNE (Photos)

Introduction:

My dad moved up to Mackay in mid-March due to work, I had a couple of days off at the start of April so decided to pop up for a visit before my work gets crazy with the Easter rush. I used my parents Qantas FF points for the flights. I would fly up in the morning on Wednesday, 2 April on a Fokker 100 and back the following day in the late afternoon on a Boeing 717. Had just acquired two new lens’, so it would be a good opportunity to test them out.

Brisbane Airport:

Woke up just before 6 and caught the train to the airport. Arrived at around 7:30, checked in and dropped off the bag (as I was bringing up a few things). I just sat down at the gate and waited. Soon my aircraft arrived from Mackay and it was VH-XWT, new rego for me. Alliance operate one or two flights a day for Qantaslink to Mackay.

XWT taxiing in

Boarding commenced on-time and soon I was walking out to my Fokker 100! Flight this morning was pretty full.

April 2, 2014
Qantaslink (operated by Alliance)
QF2644
BNE-MKY
VH-XWT F100
Seat 18A

About to hop on-board

18A! Best seat in the house!

Soon we were pushed back and then taxiing out to RWY19. No aircraft to wait for so we made a quick alpha 3 departure. Love the sound of those engines! Awesome!

Over the northern suburbs after making the usual right hand turn after the 19 departure

Passing Redcliffe, loving the new Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens!

About to pass over Bribie Island with the Bribie Bridge visible below

We then passed the Sunshine Coast before crossing the coast over Noosa. The first officer gave a very informative update over the P/A which was fantastic. For the morning flight, light refreshment was offered which was a little custard scroll. I also had a juice. We cruised at 34000ft. We then passed over Gladstone and to the east of Rockhampton before starting our descent into Mackay. It got quite bumpy as we passed through the clouds.

On downwind for RWY14

Mackay Airport

Quite a bumpy approach into RWY14. We were moving around a bit and as we neared touchdown I thought it might be a bumpy one, but it was pretty smooth unfortunately :P

The terminal as we begin to backtrack

De-boarding the plane was quick and easy. I got the wide-angle lens out again and took a few cabin shots.

Dad picked me up and took me back to his place. Over the day and a bit I was there we just drove around Mackay and had a look at the places of interest, as he is still learning the area. We did a bit of spotting on Thursday to fill in some time.

VNC heading back to Melbourne

VH-XWT is back! Quite a good spot at the end of the runway.

VOS departing back to Brisbane. She is in desperate need of a repaint!