View Single Post
Old 28th November 2010, 09:41 AM

Awesome shots Grahame. Do keep them coming. I was at BK yesterday starting my conversion training on the PA28-161 (VH-FTU) in prep for PPL Cross-country NAVs.

The Nanchang departed two planes after me as I headed out to the training area (11L departure) and then it just rocket past when I was abeam Prospect tracking towards tadpole lake. He seemed to climb up through 2500" into controlled airspace heading Westbound, before doing some pretty wicked dives, spins, and whatnot.

After briefly watching the spectacle, I then turned South to give him some room so I could start all my airwork.

By the way, coming back into BK from the training area was horrendous yesterday. The smoke was really light in the training area, but tracking in from Prospect was pretty much barely above VMC. Could barely make out the ground even at 1000". The Robin ahead of us doing the same just got swallowed up by the smoke, as did my my instructor and I moments later.

We ended up turning blind towards the airfield and then realised we overshot the approach since Warwick Farm racecourse was slightly off to our North. We headed for 11C initially cause it was the only one we could actually see, and then at about 2nm out, we could start a visual for 11L. Tower stopped sending people into the training area after that I think.