View Single Post
Old 12th June 2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Stephen B wrote:
As long as the pilot is qualified/competent, has stuff all faith in computers, is able to think for themseleves, work as part of a team, and gets me and mine to our destination safely and "on time", WHO CARES WHAT THEY EARN!!!!!
I understand where you're coming from, but the pilots definitely care (and anyone involved in the industry does).

Doctors care about what they earn, but the public don't, as long as they "do their job" and "provide an adequate level of service". Same with lawyers and any other profession.

I mean, I'm sure you care very much about how much you earn, but nobody else does. Same as noone would care how much I earnt.

You are right in saying individual incomes should not be discussed in the open, but the purpose of the poll is to get an idea of what "non-aviators" think pilots get paid. To test the hypothesis that the views of the flying public are detached from the reality. Not whether pilots themselves think they earn to little or too much.

Reality is, the public don't check the wage rates for pilots, even though this is often freely available with a quick google search. So without having consulted that information, they are oblivious to the facts.

Same as how the public believes doctors are paid waaayy to much, without realising how much training, stress, responsibility, experience etc. goes into the job. Which is very much what Mick F was pointing out, only from a pilot's perspective.

Cheers