View Single Post
Old 24th July 2011, 12:01 PM

I understand re: passenger loads vs profit yields - thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now.

I had booked an international flight last year: "red-e ticket" there, "super-saver" ticket back. Total just over $2000AU
Had to cancel that trip, rewarded with flight credit to be used within 12 months, minus $60 change fee.

My mistake, I through "flight credit to be used within 12 months" translated to 'new booking to be made within 12 months'.
As you all know, the rule actually is "new booking and travel to be made within 12 months

Within the 12 months I made a new booking, domestic flights that came as close as possible to the original flight credit ($2,000 - $60 change fee).
At the time of making the booking I had no need to travel, so purchased "Flexi-Saver" tickets with the intention to cancel these tickets in order to get a full refund.

As it turns out, now the 12 months have passed (a few days ago) I am ineligible to cancel my new booking for a full refund.
I was told my only cancellation option was to revert back to the original booking I made, red-e ticket+super-saver ticket conditions. As a result the red-e ticket has expired (loss of $800) and the super-saver ticket can be refunded, minus cancellation fee.
So from an original cost of $2000, I am down to $850 at best.

Now....this is not a whinging complaint against Qantas - I accept responsibility for my actions.
This is just a cautionary tale for the benefit of others.

The part that gets me is that literally 2 days after my flight credit expired, opportunity presented itself for me to make an overseas trip in the near future. So if only I had an extra week until the flight credit expired, I could have ended up using it in full to make this trip go ahead - as current Qantas flight prices match up with what I had in flight credit.
ahhhhh well.

V-Australia's sale price on the other hand, is still a good $600 cheaper for return flights on the AUS-USA route. What are their pax loads and yields like?
At their current prices, the airline seems like an attractive option.