View Single Post
Old 27th March 2011, 09:50 AM
Prolific Member

Jarden Hi

Ever since i can remember in the 1960'S BNE was the main gateway to POM.The TAA and Ansett 727-100's operated SYD-BNE-POM.It is mainly a corporate market with a lot of Australians based in PNG and with the growing mining industry both CNS and BNE will expand in the future.The close location of CNS and BNE to PNG is the reason for most success of these services.

There are a lot of Australians working and living in PNG and with the expansion of the LNG industry there, this will grow.

Qantas code share with PX and Airlines PNG code share with Pacific Blue out of BNE 4 times a week.

Qantas used to fly SYD-BNE-POM 4 a week with 763 equipment but pulled the route and now code share with PX.

Sydney market has always been poor and i think was actually dropped for about 6 months or so.
Tourism out of Australia is quiet and could do a lot better and i know PNG hope to improve this aspect.

Air Niugini really is a small airline and domestic services have always been it's priority however with the expansion of their international fleet mayby more routes will be looked at.

I dont believe Melbourne services if they were started would be profitable.