Thread: LHR delays
View Single Post
Old 21st December 2010, 05:49 AM

My friends do live here hence why they can compare. Now whilst it is true Budapest and Warsaw do not have the capacity of Heathrow, they do, despite their small size have the capability to clear and cope with far greater amounts of snow or poor weather. Yes they are in countries where this happens all the time, but then again the UK is a modern country where this kind of thing does happen and they should have plans in place to better manage these incidents, emphasis on the word manage. The other thing that surprises me is why in the past has the road network been crippled, yet this time around the road network is doing much better, but Heathrow much worse. Someone at Heathrow really needs to be providing some answers.

But your right the real problem is the manner in which Heathrow in particular has handled this event. Their story has changed from day to day and to be honest I cannot see why it is taking them so long. They have 1 runway cleared, which going by the pictures I saw on the news was cleared on Saturday afternoon. What has happened to the other runway.

Also on Saturday the Heathrow rep was saying the reason for the closure was fear of aircraft skidding off the runway so the closure was safety related. All the while some aircraft were taking off. Now if that was really the concern then why were aircraft taking off? Now I just saw the boss of Heathrow saying the story is too many aircraft are snowed in and cannot be moved. This I do believe, but what are they doing about it and why is it taking so long?

Now call my cynical but on Saturday the rep was saying Heathrow couldn't cope because it only had 2 runways and tonight the CEO is saying their stands are too highly utilised to clear them. Could it be that Heathrow is holding passengers to ransom and are using this event to further their (quite justified) campaign for more runways and terminals. Hmmmmm, food for thought.

Last edited by Ash W; 21st December 2010 at 07:58 AM.