View Single Post
Old 12th July 2012, 10:52 AM

27th June 2012 KL1208 KRS-AMS

DEP KRS 11.40 (schedule/actual)
ARR AMS 13.15 (schedule/actual)
SEAT 3A
EMBRAER 190-100LR (PH-EZR)

When entering Kristiansand (KRS) airport, it was as though it was still back in the '60's! Even though, there is a new ATC tower under construction, the terminal itself was a little drab. Although check-in wasn't open for a little while (I had shared a cab from the conference hotel), one of the ground crew enquired as to my needs. I told her that I had an 'issue' with online check-in, and that it wouldn't let me. She mentioned that they have just installed a new computer system there, and this could well be the cause. She corrected it, confirmed my onward booking from AMS to PRG, and allowed me an early check-in as well! If I could've given her a hug and a kiss, I would've, she went beyond her duty to do this, and I was grateful. Soon, it was then time to clear immigration/security. Although there was 2 security officers there, the same woman did the majority of the procedures! bag (sans laptop) was x-rayed, and I was soon enjoying a coffee with my Irish mate from the cab! His flight was called (to CPH and DUB) whilst I finished my coffee! I jumped online (2 x 30 min free wifi) and spoke to some friends from home. A familiar voice came over the PA announcing my flight was ready for boarding.. Can you guess who it was?

We were met by a lovely KL crew, and boarding was via stairs. By this stage, the new ATC frame was lifted atop of the concrete pillar. With the lady-of-many-hats completing the load sheets for the flight crew, we were soon off to the taxiway and backtracked a short distance on the runway. Now most (all) of the traffic were heading off from the 04 runway. However, we headed to the opposite end for a 22 departure! We turned, and brakes were applied. Slowly, the engines spooled up, then to full power before the brakes were released, and we were slingshotted up the runway… Interesting! The crew soon started a snack service, coffee/tea/soft drink and a 'sweet or savoury'!

Before all to long, we were starting our decent and approach from the west - The Polderbaan! Now I had read a lot about the time to/from this runway, and I was dreading the worst. However, after a smooth approach and landing, we had a very brisk taxi behind an Icelander B752. All up, some 15 minutes later, we were on a hard stand deplaning! I mentioned to the Captain when leaving if it was the Polderbaan, and he confirmed, and when I had read so much bad reviews about the times it takes to get to/from there, he laughed and simply said, "I went fast, as I wanted to get in"!!! This was a new airline for me today!

Clearing immigration is such a breeze in the EU, made easier with an EU passport! I was soon out in the AMS shopping mall! A mate, JP, was meeting me shortly in AMS from PRG, and we would catch the return flight together later in the day. Once he arrived, we headed up to the KL lounge (his status got u both entry) and 'chilled' for a bit, before going landslide to both the viewing deck (which is WAY better than home in SYD) AND the KL shop! Alas, it was time (getting shorter) to clear immigration/security and get to the next flight!

Now, this is where I had issues… I was in the line, laptop was out, and the security guard was to busy chatting up the two girls two people ahead of me. Once my bag went through, I was asked was it mine and did I pack it.. I confirmed it was and that I knew what was in it, and what the problem was! A brief discussion was had (in Dutch) to which I objected, and requested it be repeated in English. Both security were a little 'pee'd' with my request, but then proceeded to tell me that I did not take my camera, and lenses out! I confirmed I hadn't as I was NOT asked to as the guard on the other side was to busy perving/chatting up two girls!! They proceeded to talk (again) in Dutch whilst opening and closing lens caps and ends, and AGAIN, I interjected and ordered they speak in English so as I can understand what was being said. By this stage, the scheduled boarding time was approaching, I was getting agitated, and they were getting slower and slower in processing my gear. Now, in total, my gear is just shy of $10K, so I wanted to keep an eye on it, what they were doing, so when asked a question, I snapped back my answer and snapped back to watch. I think this upset him more, but at this stage, I could care less, I just wanted an understanding of WHAT was going on and WHEN I could get going. It was soon finished, and with a smug recant of proceedings, I was asked what gate I was going to, and his reply was, well its just there anyway so no harm done!! Pft whatever!!

DEP AMS 19.35 (schedule/actual)
ARR PRG 21.00 (schedule/actual)
SEAT 4A (swapped)
Airbus A319-112 (OK-NEN)

When we got to the gate, and 'cooled down' a little, boarding was soon to commence. The flight was fairly full, and we were soon aboard and comfy. Again, just behind the movable J class wall. However, it was just forward of the engines, and the skies were somewhat clear for the duration of the flight. We had a snack onboard, coffee/tea/soft drink or beer, and we had a beer each. Shortly after the service, we started our decent into PRG, and alas (for us) we were on the wrong side of the plane to see the city - never mind another day perhaps! The flight was quick. and nothing out of the ordinary, but the service was vey good from the crew. Another new airline for me!

My three days in Prague was simply NOT enough, The highlights was catching up with my ex Sydney mate who's moved back to Prague, and I also visited the Botanic Gardens there, but the best part was that JP had organised an airside spotting excursion!! THIS was an excellent trip, and whilst he was quoted a figure, as it was only us two, the bus was no longer needed and we went out in a car (which meant we could go more places…)! We started out at the GA parking on what was once the old runway, before passing the hanger where the OK ATR caught fire just a few months back. We then headed towards the freight apron, where a China Airlines B744F was being loaded. We headed out into the field and did some spotting. After the EK B773 taxied past, it was then time for the B744, and due to the regulations, we had to get into the car and clear by some 100m before getting back out into the field… Enjoy these pics in the next post!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images