View Single Post
Old 8th April 2012, 09:49 PM

Anyways, Singapore approached and before long it was all over. The landing was met with clapping and cheering. A really unique experience. The only other clapping I have been part of is landing at Seychelles Airport in one of their (now retired) 767-200's. Clapping on the last 747 flight was for different reasons obviously.

There were commemorative flight bags handed out to all passengers flying each sector. I have photos of these, but the photo quota has been used.

Both flights were very good and the experience one of a kind. Met some great people and will meet with them again later in the year. The flight had people from all walks of life and the commitment of some to travel to Singapore just for this occasion is outstanding.

With flights and accommodation for myself only, it came to a little over $2000. But for some others I met, they travelled far and wide - from Manchester, Frankfurt, Toronto, Sydney, Jakarta and Zurich. Their costs would have been considerably more than mine.

Singapore Airlines did a fabulous job making the final farewell a memorable one. I was particularly impressed with the Singapore Girls who handled the continual movement of passengers rather well. Even on these flights, there were passengers making unreasonable requests which were far more prevalent than any other flight I have been on. But to their credit, they were professional and personable. I was super impressed. It was touching to see some of the Singapore Airlines crew shedding tears as we landed in Singapore. Without a doubt, the 747 is more than a people mover but a life changing experience.

The Executive Vice President, the four Captains, the very first Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 captain and many other Singapore Airlines dignitaries circled the aircraft throughout the flight, making themselves available for conversation.

After all this, I made my way back to Brisbane on Qantas 747-400 VH-OJU without upgrade, but seated in 41K. How great it was to be in another 747. VH-OJU looked to be in better shape than 9V-SPQ.

As this was an excellent occasion for any aviation enthusiast to be part of, I really look forward to the time Qantas retires their 747's. However, I do not at all wish to rush this thought by any means. As many know, Qantas has operated the 747 longer than Singapore Airlines, had the extra variants of the 747SP and the 747-400ER. That will be an even more momentous occasion. With fingers and toes crossed, both airlines might reconsider the 747-8I.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Dale; 8th April 2012 at 09:57 PM.