View Single Post
Old 11th April 2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel F View Post
US Airways has somehow managed to get around the 2 bags regulation. They are now charging to check in a 2nd bag... http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...epolicies.aspx
Not just US Airways, United has implemented a 2nd-bag surcharge for domestic flights, and Delta will do so from May onwards.

Virgin America's policy for Y-pax is that they can check-in only 1 bag for free (32kg/70lbs.)...and a $10 surcharge for the 2nd bag. Makes me wonder how they can have this 1-bag policy if the FAA's policy is that all carriers must allow 2 bags free...

Just curious though, wouldn't it be to Qantas' benefit if they agreed to lower their baggage allowance? The lower the bag weights, the move weight savings they make, and the more money they make from overweight baggage fees. Sure the weight savings may not be that noticeable, but every little bit helps when fuel prices keep rising... or am I missing something here?

Let's assume:
- A QF 744 with 300-pax onboard
- Use an average weight of about 25kg per bag (since most don't take a 32kg bag with them, and their 2nd check-in is most likely not as heavy as their first)
- 2 bags per passenger (disregard increased weight/number of bag allowances for premium-class passengers)

Total baggage weight is: (25 x 2) x 300 = 15,000kg = 15 tonnes

If, the limit was lowered to 20kg, then: (20 x 2) x 300 = 12,000kg = 12 tonnes

If Qantas agrees to ..say a reduction in weight limit to 23kg, then the airline saves baggage weight, it gains extra money from overweight baggage surcharge fees, keeps the workers happy and the pesky unions off their back, ..and eventhough passengers may moan and groan at first, they really can't complain much since V Australia's free-of-charge weight allowance is 23kg and many other international carriers limit is also 23kg. ... So why hasn't Qantas supported this? (I must be missing or overlooking something here..)

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 11th April 2008 at 09:12 AM.