View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:09 PM

Flightradar24 have sent me one of their receivers which I've now put on my roof. Even with only a few hours of runtime so far, I have significant coverage improvement compared to my DVB-t dongle.

I've had some hits in excess of 450 km (240 NM) away. My range now gets out to around Nambucca Heads, Port Macquarie, Armidale, about 100 km beyond Tamworth, about 50km beyond Narrabri, Coonamble, around 100 km beyond Dubbo, Condobolin, West Wyalong, Temora, Junee, Wagga Wagga, Tumut, about 50 km beyond Canberra, Jindabyne, Bombala and Eden.

My range out to sea isn't so good though - only about 250 km - as I have hills and high-rises blocking my view towards that direction. I don't have anything in the south-east yet either, but I think that's just because there haven't been any flights there yet. I am also getting ground coverage - I'm under 10 km from the airport.

I've attached an image of my range after a few hours of running the receiver. The rings are 50 km apart and the outermost ring is 450 km.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range-20141202.jpg (53.9 KB, 22 views)