View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 07:26 PM

I believe that they will be new aircraft to be built in Florida.

Earlier this year the US announced that it would retire its fleet of 21 C27Js and scrap plans to build another 17. So many people thought that Australia could pick up some or all of the 21 surplus C27Js and spares and associated equipment at "mates rates".

But Alenia, the Italian builder of the C27, kicked up an almighty stink and in an unprecedented move, warned the U.S. government and intending purchasers that it will refuse to support the aircraft it sold to the United States if the U.S. resells them to other nations.

Alenia explained that the company would continue to support efforts to sell new C27Js through the U.S. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program, but would exercise its rights not to support the aircraft originally sold to the U.S. if those planes were resold on the international market.

Alenia is still trying to sell new C27s and several countries are interested. But if the US "dumped" 21 aircraft on the market which is seen as a big deal, it would undermine Alenia and possibly affect its future and the livelihood of thousands of workers.

Alenia’s stance is understandable as a sister company, AgustaWestland, beat long time and bitter rival, Sikorsky to win the U.S. presidential helicopter contract. But a series of design changes and cost blow outs saw that $6 billion contract cancelled in the early days of the Obama Presidency so only a few of the 28 helicopters were delivered. Shades of the Airbus/Boeing USAF tanker dispute ???

The 21 surplus C27s may now be heading to the U S Coast Guard, another agency or could just be parked in the desert.

Had these events not occurred then Australia may well have been operating some C27Js by the end of 2012 instead of having to wait nearly 4 years.

I also think that 10 is too few ; 12-16 would be ideal to allow for maintenance and possible attrition. Better to buy them in today's $$$$ and have more in the fleet now and rotate them as required rather than "topping up" in a few years at increased prices like the latest C17 - I believe at least $20 million more than its sisters.

They would be far more useful and relevant, as would a few more C130Js, than the further delayed F35.

And a final word - much has been said about the Super King Airs being an interim Caribou replacement. But has anyone seen a platoon of soldiers scramble out of the back of a King Air or tonnes of supplies off loaded to flood or drought stricken areas ?

I think the King Air is a good communications and training aircraft but certainly not an "interim Caribou replacement".