View Single Post
Old 12th January 2016, 08:08 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan McKeever View Post
It's hard to say with any certainty because the version of the AUS / SIN treaty which is available on the Government's treaty website is so old it doesn't even show Singaporean carriers as having rights for BNE, ADL or CNS, which we know they do. However in that version they DO have beyond rights (i.e. fifth freedom) to AKL. So it's probably fair to assume Singaporean carriers now hold beyond rights to WLG as well, as it's hard to believe SQ would take on a route such as this (nor NZ & VA join them in it, which I'd imagine they will) without it.
The treaty does not reflect the 2003 MOU which I believe took into account the open skies NZ AUS agreement and opened up fifth freedom to all ports within NZ and Australia for Singapore airlines.

Interesting move going to Wellington, from one marginal airport to another depending on the weather conditions.

Probably worth mentioning that Canberra has been here before with the short lived Air Pacific International flights, Singapore and Wellington I suspect will be more popular.