View Single Post
Old 11th December 2012, 06:45 PM

Other airworthy DC-3s in Australia

My DC-3 fix wasn’t enough! Thankfully, the friendly folks at Shortstop Jet Charter allowed me to visit the following day before I left Melbourne back for the country, and I spent sometime getting some exterior photographs of VH-OVM. She looked good as ever, sunbaking on the tarmac at Essendon enjoying a good reprieve from the previous day’s hard work.

Prior to that, and with permission of Essendon Airport’s Operations Manager, I was also allowed to wonder the tarmac at the airport to inspect two other DC-3s that can be found onsite. Another airworthy DC-3 is VH-TMQ, operated by Australasian Jet, that also operates charters and other scenic flights out of Essendon Airport.

Also on site at Essendon is another airworthy DC-3, VH-SBL, “Captain Jack Curtis”. This aircraft also formerly operated for Dakota National Air out of Bankstown Airport, but has since been transferred to Essendon and has stayed parked ever since, at a part of Essendon Airport with all sorts of other weird aircraft types.

And to add to the collection is my photograph of VH-EAF, of the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society, which is also a regular on the airshow circuit across the East Coast of Australia.

Also for more information on DC-3s across Australia, refer to the following link by The DC-3 in Australasia, which seems to be updated periodically here.

Conclusion and Thanks!

If you made it this far down the Trip Report, than my thanks to you for sticking it through, and really hoped you've enjoyed reading my trip report and journey to King Island, as well as my insight into the DC-3.

Firstly, my big thanks goes to Julie, from Shortstop Jet Charter, who was also the flight attendant on the day. From the moment I made that phone call to book, she was completely accommodating of all my questions and requests as an aviation enthusiast, and she did so with service and pride.

My following thanks go to the flight crew, Captain Mike Falls and First Officer Nick Robertson for their professionalism and character throughout the day, and for also answering all the silly and stupid questions I had on the day while we were all at lunch. And to our local tour guide Adrian Robel, he’s an example of people we need in our regional communities who are proud of their local region and present it in the best of light to visitors from all over!

The one word I use to describe this day was ‘perfect’! Everything about it, the flight, the weather, the food, the scenery, the company, the service, was all perfect. I got to fulfil a desire to have a flight aboard this historic aircraft (And even up the front!) and got to explore a very nice local oasis for the day.

The jumpseat really motivated and inspired me in my flight training. Since then, I have got my Commercial License with all the ratings, and now flying professionally. My next goal is to one day have a go at flying the Gooney Bird…. but that’s a long way off yet and right now, I’m just happy enjoying the start of journey!

For more information on these flights operated by Shortstop Jet Charter, visit their website here

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed the Trip Report and Photos, and I hope to present to you all similar journeys in 2013!