Thread: Air France 777F
View Single Post
Old 17th August 2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
With these aircraft being painted in Boeing house colours (why are people calling them Dreamliner colours?) maybe the reason is building pride in the Boeing company. Afterall it must be a serious embarassment to them that they are yet to get a 787 into the sky, and indeed it seems even the rollout of the 787 was contrived. So why not paint some aircraft in house colours?
I'm not all that convinced of that 'embarrassment' reasoning, because every Boeing aircraft to feature the Dreamliner livery (China Airlines 744, Lion Air 737, Air Berlin 737, 1st B772LR, 787 Roll Out aircraft) with the exception of the very new B777F were painted in this livery well before any 787 delays were announced.
But your point in general about it being an example of internal marketing aimed at bringing pride and solidarity amongst employees could well be one of the factors why Boeing has painted these airline's in this way.

Back to the question I posed earlier, I can understand the general fanfare that Airbus and Boeing try to create with their 'marque' aircraft such as the 747, A380 and 787. We've seen what an iconic aircraft the 747s become over the years synonymously being referred as a 'Jumbo'.... we've also seen the great public interest in the A380 and I bet there are a lot of examples like Erik 's example of his family purposely trying to fly the A380 (heck, if I were to ever fly to Asia or Europe I'd actively pursue a flight on it too)....and now we're seeing an unprecedented level of reporting and access to the 787 even before the delays were mentioned.... so it's completely understandable that both Airbus and Boeing put a lot of marketing dollars towards creating these 'icons' to represent their company..

.....BUT....

..what gets me all puzzled are ads talking about how the 737 is the best short-haul aircraft with great field performance, great turn around times, and impressive efficiency and so on. I've seen similar ads in relation the 777F about it's technical credentials and so on..... so pretty much these ads have contained technical information which the general public could care less about.

Just puzzling at times...

Quote:
Ironic the so called Dreamliner (house) colours have flown, but as yet not on a Dreamliner.
Oh but it has... in the belly of the Dreamlifter that is.