View Single Post
Old 12th January 2012, 11:17 AM

Default SYD to LHR via Narita & Sheremetyevo contines...

20th December 2011 SU248 LHR-SVO (VQ-BEE) A321
I had already checked-in online for this flight, so for me, it was a simple matter of bag drop, right? NO! I joined the line with all of the other people, but my position in the line was just about perfect… The then opened the line for ‘Online Check-in’ so I was first at this gate. I showed him my QR code on my phone, he got my details and that’s where the troubles started… Although I had a single PNR, they could only check me through to Hong Kong, even though he could see I was going to Sydney. To cut an already long story short, three phone calls, four boarding passes, it was sorted, I was now checked all the way through to Sydney for my bag. Clearing immigration in T4 was a little slower than in T5, also darker, and not as pleasing to the eye. Boarding was called, and I was very pleased when entering that it seemed to be a near new bird! The flight was FULL, not a spare seat to be had. The lady of an older appearance to me arrived and took of her jacket, and subsequent jumper and sat down next to me in a singlet top. Now, I was hot, it was stuffy and I had my vent opened… She proceeded to close it as she was cold. We had words, her ‘neit’ my ‘go to hell’ fell on deaf ears and a stewardess was alerted to the situation. In the end, she was given a blanket to cover up…

We taxied out to runway 27R, had a short delay and had another spirited climb out. Meal service was of the same order as previous mentioned, and was actually quite good. It was a four and a bit hours to SVO, departing LHR at 22.48 arriveing into SVO at 06.15. We were in our final part of descent, and the hostess was walking up the aisle checking for seatbelts when we landed, I guess the Captain forgot to tell the crew what was happening! There was snow everywhere, the place was white, and it was falling heavily! We taxied through to Terminal D. Again, the Captain told us about the aircrafts name and thanked us for our patronage. Clearing immigration and security was pleasant enough, if not a little slow for that time of morning. Most of the shops inside the terminal were still closed, but I was more interested in seeing the operations out on the ramp. I had never been to an airport in snow, and the whole de-icing thing was interesting to see. AND, as I had an extended 13.5 hour layover, I had plenty to see!! Here are some shots throughout various times of the day…

VQ-BHL (A320) Sitting in snow at SVO airport

De-Icing

Terminals F-B

SVO snow covered field

ABC Cargo B743

Snow Plough

Aeroflot A330 Skyteam

SAS Retro A319

IL96 parked for the night

21st December 2011 SVO-HKG (VP-BWU) SU595 B763
It was soon enough, ‘Time to fly’ but this time it was on an (aging) B763 to Hong Kong from runway 07L. The seat was more than comfy, and I had two widows for my view pleasure! We pushed back for de-icing, and I got to see it from inside on the wings, and also to the rear (if I strained my neck al little)! It was great seeing it! I had what appeared to be a bunch of scool kids heading over to Hong Kong for some shopping. They seemed to be excited to be going, but after a bit settled down most likely due to no IFE. Same service again, drinks, meal drinks and I headed ddeeply into the land of nod, only to be woken for drinks, breakfast (ok, I’ll call it that) drinks. This time though, the crew were also seated for the touch-down into HKG on runway 07L (again). Touchdown was a little heavy with a fair amount of reverse thrust and brakes… We taxied to the terminal in no time at all really. The line for immigration wasn’t as bad as when I was here with JL in August, and I got through fairly quickly. Once through, I caught up with a HKG spotter CJ. It was great catching up with him again. We went back to his apartment where I left my camera bag (with laptop) and headed out to see the local area and his complex. He’s got a fantastic view from the 57th floor that overlooks Check Lap Kok. He can shoot from his balcony 07 departures or 25 arrivals! I also met his wife and we had lunch down in Tung Chung before heading to the KA bridge for some spotting. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a great deal leaving during this 9 hour visit, so we headed back home and had ‘sweet rice B A L L S’ to welcome the Chinese Winter Solstice. These were yumm by the way, looked like eyeB A L L S, and were in a ginger soup. We caught a cab back down to the airport (10 mins) where I bid farewell, until next we meet, hopefully not to long!

22nd December 2011 QF128 (VH-OJF) B744
Checking in at the QF desks was easy, but the line getting through immigration was terrible! They now have a study happening where you get a ‘chipped card’ upon entering the line, and you scan it as you get called to monitor peak flows of passengers. I hope it can improve it, as they have plenty of desks just not enough people manning them! Flight was good, meal served and I got some shut eye. I had the row of seats free, so I laid down on them… It was good!

Arrival into Sydney was 16R, after we did a loop up near the Cessnock area due to ATC requirements…

Summary
So, all up, a good set of flights. Service on most occasions was good to excellence. Aircraft were almost in top condition (exception being the SU B763 SVO-HKG). I’d happily fly Aeroflot again, and next time, I will get the visa to see/stay in Moscow!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images