View Single Post
Old 8th February 2011, 10:34 PM

Default A Trip North with the New Kangaroo-CBR-SYD-BNE-SYD-CBR

Introduction:
After contemplating which cricket game I wanted to go and see this year I eventually decided on going to a match in Brisbane on January 30. I booked flights with Qantas through Sydney and accommodation was organised with my friend and I staying at my aunts house. On this trip I would travel on my two favorite aircraft, the Boeing 767 and the Dash 8-Q400 as well as travelling on the one aircraft I hate, the Boeing 737-400.

27/01/2011
For once I wasn't on an early flight so I had a decent (what you call decent on a 25 degree night) sleep. My grandpa drove us to the airport arriving just on 8am, with no line up for check in we checked our bags in and were off to security within a few minutes. Problems occurred at security when a random explosives test on myself gave a false reading stating that I had traces of explosives. after a few more attempts I was cleared and took a seat next to departure gate 13.

QF1454
Aircraft: VH-QOM Dash 8-Q400 Seat:19A
STD: 0955 STA: 1045
Pushback: 0953 Wheels Up: 0956
Wheels Down: 1042 At Gate: 1047
Departure Gate: 13 Arrival Gate: 17

Stats:
-First time on aircraft
-4th time on type
-54th Flight

Boarding Pass

The inbound flight was around ten minutes late but had more than enough time to be turned around without delaying the flight.

VH-QOM arrving at the gate.

Boarding was called early and I was th first onto the aircraft greeted by our CSM for today Denise who directed us to the very rear of the aircraft. After about 10 minutes it was announced that we were now fully boarded and were awaiting the final paperwork before we could get going. In the cockpit today we had John and John whose last name escape me.

Engines started at 0950 and pushback commenced shortly after. At about 0954 the flaps were set and we made the 10m taxi from the terminal to the runway entrance most Q400s use at Canberra. After holding short for a Virgin Blue 737 the spoilers were raised (no idea why this is done with the Q400s) and we taxied on to the runway before the captain powered up and lowered the spoilers, we rotated with about 1/3 of the runway left.

A bit of turbulence was experienced on takeoff but soon we were settled into quite a smooth climb to our cruise at 16000ft. The captain spoke for a bit briefing us on the flight and weather conditions and soon after crossing 10000ft the seatbelt sign was extinguished. The two cabin crew Denise (previously mentioned) and Luigi made quick work handing out cup cakes and drinks. Today we had a Orange and Caramel Cupcake as well as a choice of tea, coffee, juice or water. Today I opted for coffee to accompany my cupcake.

The Orange and Caramel Cupcake served, quite tasty although quite small.

After the quick run through the cabin with the refreshment the crew then got to work with rubish run as we commenced our decent into Sydney. Today we would be arriving on runway 16R.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/...cb3c33c0_b.jpg
My attempt at a legroom shot, plenty of legroom on the Q400s!

Approach was a little bumpy but nothing to bad, if my camera wasn't in the over head it would have been a great approach for pictures with an approach right next to the Sydney CBD, landing was certainly nothing special but compared to what I have experienced in the past it was nothing. We exited onto the cross runway and arrived at the gate a few minutes later with the engines shut down we were cleared to get off.

VH-OGS is seen taxiing past as we make out was to the terminal, I had been informed that this aircraft would be operating my next flight.

Sydney Airport:
With just over an hour and a half between flights I headed off to get some lunch before sitting at the gate to await the flight, my advice to anyone travelling through T3 at Sydney would be to avoid eating at Hungry Jacks, they are pretty bad there.

QF524:

Aircraft: VH-OGS Boeing 767-338 Name: Roma Seat: 53A
STD: 1205 STA: 1335 (1235 BNE time)
Pushback: 1204 Wheels Up: 1216
Wheels Down: 1322 At Gate: 1324
Departure Gate: 13 Arrival Gate: 22

Stats:
-First time on aircraft
-3rd time on type
-55th Flight

Roma at the gate just prior to boarding.

VH-OGS is one of the internationally configured Boeing 767s in the Qantas fleet, featuring a rather aged interior, the interior in this aircraft seems to be in better condition seems to in a much better condition than that of VH-OGM (the other International config 767 I have been on).

Boarding was called on time and I took up my seat in row 53, the last row before the crew rest area so recline in this row is unlimited. Push back commenced a minute early after all the over sized bags were stuffed into the overhead lockers.

Another poor legroom shot, not as much as the Q400 but still enough....just.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/...411eefc5_b.jpg
Another 767 next to us.

This flight was the first time I had seen the new Qantas safety video which features John Travolta rather than the sleezy pilot. A nice change, the video is much more relaxed and engaged the passengers more than the old one. After the safety demo taxi commenced as we made our way out to runway 16L. after holding short for a Jetstar A320 we turned onto the runway and we were off with the power that is the reason I love the 763!

A pretty steep climb out as with most 767s with a sharp left hand turn to head north, a few bumps on the way up but it was pretty smooth on the way up.

Off to Brisbane, YSSY can be seen just under the wing.

Soon after takeoff the cabin filled with the smell of food and not long after the cabin crew were through offering lunch, today a spinach and cheese calazone. A full bar service soon followed, I chose to get a can of lemonade.

The Calazone, I was almost tempted to see if they had another, it was delicious.

Today's in flight entertainment commenced before takeoff, the news was shown followed by a documentary about art, neither of which I bothered with choosing to look out the window instead.

Decent today commenced over the Gold Coast as we made a Runway 01 approach so very few turns were made, a smooth approach with a little bit of turbulence as we came through the clouds. Landing was rather hard and seemed to shock everyone on board.

Over the Gold Coast.

Short Final over the airport.

A 727 with what appears to be an old Ansett Bae146, someone might know th story behind the 146, I believe the 727 is named Tania and is some sort of static training aid these days.

Qantas 747-438ER VH-OEH awaiting departure.

Down

We stopped infront of the terminal so the taxi in was quite short.

There goes OEH.

after parking at the gate there was a short wait to disembark the aircraft but that comes with sitting at the rear. Once in the terminal we headed directly to baggage claim where out bags were two of the last out. After that it was on to the airtrain and off to the City.
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)