View Single Post
Old 27th June 2008, 10:46 AM

well VS has conducted tests and I believe that Air NZ is also looking at it, I'm not sure of the supply side of things but arlines, manufacturers and engine makers are investing and testing the new process.

that's how the aviation industry will survive, I have no doubt about that...but governments taking it on for the ordinary folk are understandably less willing, remind me again how much free money the government of Australia makes from a litre of petrol in this country? and then you begin to understand why its not in their interests to promote it for you & me.

Quote:
updated 2:48 p.m. ET Sept. 28, 2007

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Air New Zealand will partner with Rolls-Royce Group Plc. and Boeing Co. to conduct the first trial flight of a Boeing 747 airplane partly run on biofuel by early 2009, the airline said Friday.

New Zealand's national carrier, 76 percent owned by the government, said it had signed an agreement with airplane maker Boeing and engine maker Rolls-Royce to work together on projects to make commercial aviation more environmentally sustainable.

The first part of the deal is a trial flight of a Boeing 747 partly run on blended biofuel, to take place in the second half of 2008 or early 2009, it said.

One Rolls-Royce engine on the airplane will run on a blended mix of biofuel and kerosene while the other three will be powered by regular aviation fuel.

The flight is likely to depart from the company's base in Auckland but will not carry passengers, it said.

Air New Zealand Chief Executive Rob Fyfe said technology advances have made biofuel a viable possibility for the aviation industry sooner than expected. He did not elaborate on the biofuel blend to be used.

"Air New Zealand is keen to encourage research into alternative fuels and wants to work hand-in-hand with industry partners and the New Zealand government on promoting this type of activity," he said.

The New Zealand government welcomed the move.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX