View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
I spent my first afternoon using the D700 - I think I can get more out of it as I learn more of the intricacies. Given I've only had it since Thursday, I'm reasonably impressed with my first efforts - especially since I decided to stay late into dwindling light (I really wanted to test ISO400 and beyond). The images at ISO400 are still quite clean, dark blue sky has only very slight grain, pretty close to what a D80 does at its lowest ISO setting.

I spent some time looking through your photos on jp.net - I really liked the Air Tahiti Nui A343 image. You used Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G (IF) VR + TC17EII combination for that image according to your remarks. How much editing did you do to the image (in terms of sharpening)?

It looks very crisp, more than I was expecting with a TC being used, especially for the quite high resolution of the image.

It appears that the 70-200G and the 1.7x TC is a good combination - right?
Chris,

The 70-200/f2.8 is an outstanding lens to begin with, so adding the TC only slightly lessens the overall quality. I use both the 1.4 and 1.7. Its having a good base lens, the 300mm/f4 as well also likes the TC's, and shooting within the confines of the lens (i.e. shoot at a reasonable f stop and shutter speed). I only use the 70-200/f2.8 and the TC's when I need a bit of versatility, I much prefer the 300mm/f4 when working at long lengths. That particular day with the Tahiti Nui we had the taxiway right infront of us as well as the runway, so I needed the zoom function.

Also I must note that I shoot in RAW. The post processing is usually done in Nikon Capture. The RAW file obviously doesn't make the picture sharper, but it does give you more scope for adjustment around exposure and colours.

If you use that D700 right I've seen some great noiseless pictures all the way up past ISO1000.

Oh and you can add the 200mm/f2 to my LLL (Lens Lust List)

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?