View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:08 AM

Not a word you hear very often hey!

Until now, pratique was given to all flights unless the captain declared otherwise, ie it was assumed you were disease free unless the Captain notified the authorities otherwise.

The change is that now that assumption is not made, and flights have to declare yes or no to "disease on board". On some ACARS aircraft the sent arrival message already includes a "Y/N" for sickness, and so by default they were already meeting this requirement. For that reason you won't see any of these "free of disease" statements from the QF744, as it sends it as part of the ACARS message.

The 767 is not so lucky, so every international flight will have a text statement.

As an aside, I am also of the thought that a lot of these messages should not be published. I am well aware that it is possible to intercept ACARS messages, however they ARE company confidential, and are not for public viewing. Confidential and sensitive information is sent, and should not be read easily by the general public. I know that Grahame does filter and sanitise some of the material, but it does not resolve the fact that it is all private information.

Despite the fact that someones name is removed, how would you all feel if your emails to your wife/tennis partner/dog were freely available on the internet for all to read? These are not "over the airwaves" transmissions that everyone knows are available... 95% of crew believe that what they write in a private ACARS message remains that way... private... and as a spotting group we should respect that privacy.