View Single Post
Old 4th November 2008, 04:51 PM

Sorry mods if we're headed off on a tangent here, but I think it's important for Nick to qualify his statements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Setting a precedent such as this is dangerous. If everything goes to the dogs and foreign carriers take over the domestic market you can't just turn around and tell them to go. Once they are in, they are in.
And what if it doesn't all "go to the dogs"? What if the competition provides a better market for the customer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN
There has to be some sort of protection offered by this government for Australian business. Something the Rudd government has a lacklustre history in.
That would be the Rudd government that has only been in for 10 1/2 months after 12+ years of coalition rule? Please cite some examples where this "lacklustre history" has occurred?

Quote:
The Australian marketplace is constantly under attack from overseas interests, in almost every sector. The last thing we should be supporting is yet another way for foreign companies to muscle in on Australia.
Wake up and smell the coffee Nick! We live in a global economy and, with a population of <23 million, we have neither the industrial base nor the population to stand on our own. If you want the government to favour home grown products by selectively choosing who can and cannot enter our market or by selectively applying tarrifs, then you may as well kiss most export opportunities for Australian industry goodbye!

Quote:
I find it very un-Australian to be supporting and assisting overseas business to profit from Australian customers when we could be promoting a home grown business instead.
"un-Australian"...oh puhleese!!

Quote:
Personally I always prefer to choose a home grown business to deal with over one that is under foreign ownership to help support Australian business.
And having foreign airlines here shouldn't change your preference to choose! If you want to continue flying Qantas or Jetstar, then go for it. If someone else offers a better product at an equal of cheaper price, you still have that choice.