View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:31 PM

Absolutely Philip, I agree 100%. A nice balanced view from you as always!

I should make it clear I am not attacking Grahame for posting what he believes is a fair thing on the board, as I know many wish to read the messages. Aviation is one of those things that gets into your blood and you just want to find out more!

I agree that in most cases Grahame does quite a good job of sanitising messages, however since the ability for some airlines to send personal emails through the ACARS system has come about, we are seeing more and more personal (if sanitised) information coming through.

I know I am not alone in my views about not publishing ACARS, but not being a particulally "close knit" member means I am slightly more free in airing something that could make others unpopular, as I know seeing the ACARS messages is a popular thing. I just hope to start a bit of debate if this is the way the group wants to go into the future. Do we need to be more circumspect in what is published and make it highly sanitised, or remove it altogether? That is a decision for the group and the moderators, not me.

The risk here, as you point out Philip, is not the use of the information by members of the board, who are most likely aviation enthusiasts who read it for entertainment. It is the fact that it is a public board, most likely frequented by the Authorities and the Media, who can make what they want of what is written. Another avenue is a disgruntled passenger. Airlines are forbidden from revealing passenger lists, however some of the messages on the board mean that passengers names and seat numbers have been revealed. Im not sure the airlines would like that very much.

At the moment Spotters in this country are treated relatively well with a good relationship with the airport authorities and police. I'd hate to see what I think is a questionable practice of publishing private communications (intercepting emails as well) potentially ruin those good relationships.