View Single Post
Old 4th April 2008, 08:49 AM

Anyone with access to C Span (the usually boring live feed from congress) is in for a refreshing change today. Currently I'm spending the day watching the House Transportation Safety Committee question Herb Kelleher and Gary Kelly who are the two CEO's of Soutwest Airlines regarding the subject matter of the recent large fines levied against the company by the FAA. This has been a most interesting discourse so far, lots of discussion about ad's and how/why they were not followed etc. Lots of maintenance/safety related items and detail. Given that maintenance standards and outsourcing is one of my biggest disputes with our (UAL) management I'm finding this particular query of key interest and very timely as we deal with our own internal maintenance issues both on the 400's and our 777 fleet.

There are also representatives from other airlines and the FAA/NTSB giving evidence/testimony at the hearing.

As one of those tasked with flying equipment that may in fact have safety related deficiencies that I'm not aware of, this inquiry could not come at a better time. There are still two of our 400's in maintenance state resulting from the recent series of inspections both of which I have flown multiple times over the past year....not the most comforting feeling in the world.

MS