Thread: Focal Length
View Single Post
Old 25th April 2014, 03:33 PM

Default Focal Length

Hi all

I will be heading down to Sydney for a couple of days of spotting next month. I was hoping you guys and girls might be able to provide some guidance regarding camera equipment. My current gear (Canon 400D body with 18-55 IS and 55-250IS lenses) is quite obsolete and basic so I have decided to rent some equipment. My toughest decision is the focal lengths I will be working with. I plan to spot from the following locations:

1. Stamford Plaza (upper level room)
2. Rydges observation deck
3. The Beach
4. Shep's Mound
5. Qantas Drive

I was considering hiring a Canon 7D or 60D with either the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM or Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I want to keep costs down as much as possible so I am wondering if it necessary to spend the extra money hiring the 7D when the 60D would suffice. I am interested in the 7D primarily due what I have read about its AF system. I don't know if this is a big selling point for aviation photography though. As far as the lenses go I have read that the 70-300 is sharper and offers better IQ. My main concern with the 70-300 is that it may not get me as close to the action as I want to be, especially at the Rydges observation deck when I might want the aircraft to fill most of the frame.

So there you have it, my predicament, lol. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who is willing to offer some sage advice to a struggling amateur.

Thanks guys.