Thread: Spotting Photos
View Single Post
Old 20th April 2008, 06:53 PM

Nick, it takes alot of experimenting to get some of the shots right. I'll give you a few tips I always work by.....

Never use any camera modes other than Tv (Shutter Priority), Av (Aperture Priority) or M (Manual). M is definately the hardest to get used to, and Tv is probably the easiest.

I tend to use Spot Metering almost always to ensure the aircraft which is the main feature of any image is exposed correctly. AE and Centre Weighted don't work as well for me.

Always "track" or follow the aircraft with your camera as you shoot, never stop panning to take a shot.

Always shoot at your cameras optimum ISO (Usually either 100 or 200 ISO). This will just add excessive and unwated noise to your shots. My camera has a minimum ISO of 200 and I always shoot with that. Always adjust shutter speed, aperture, exposure etc and only ever increase ISO as the last possible resort in bad light. If the light is that bad you have to increase ISO it might be time to go home for the day.

I hope some of that helps.

The best thing is to keep experimenting and keep taking photos until it all clicks for you.

Nick.