View Single Post
Old 29th June 2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
And we may have proven one thing, that Qantas spends a lot on staff (if those figures are correct). But what are you proposing Ash? That staff take a 25% pay cut or something like that?

It's never going to happen. The pilots already took a pay freeze with the promise of it being given back to them and it never did.

Let's not forget that apart from the usual CPI increase (which should be normal, I know with the EBA I'm bound under there's always a CPI increase in there), the pilots aren't asking for anything else remuneration wise.

Mick
Actually what it proves is why Qantas is so uncompetative compared to other international carriers, in particular Emirates.

It doesn't actually show that Qantas employee's are overpaid (or underpaid for that matter), nor does it say said employee's should or shouldn't get payrises.

What it does show however is to be competative Qantas needs to bring this cost down because more or less every other cost is fixed. There are many ways to do this. For example, reducing staff numbers, be it through outsourcing certain functions to organisations that can do it cheaper, reducing staff numbers through new technology (New gen check-in for example), reducing staff numbers through workplace reform or setting up airlines offshore to do some or all of the work.

Now if I am not mistaken everything I said above is what Qantas management are trying to do and is the crux of the industrial strife they face with their workforce.