View Single Post
Old 11th December 2012, 06:42 PM

The flight – September 2011

I got to the Silver Clipper Lounge about 20 minutes early, watched as the crews prepped the DC-3, VH-OVM. She was looking beaut, the same beaut as the women of her time! Nearby was a film crew, of two chaps and a few very expensive massive looking cameras. I got talking to them, and they were putting together a television documentary on historic aircraft. I look forward to seeing it soon if it eventuates, and you’ll all get to see me on it. At 1030, they finally let us into the lounge to check in, I got the 2nd last row of seats, 7D, and we were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne. I thought it was a little early to be drinking….. ah who am I kidding? This is all part of the experience!

We lounged about for 20 minutes, before our Captain, Mike Falls, got our attention and addressed us, welcomed us for the day’s experience and gave us a rundown of the history and operation of the DC-3 aircraft, and to assure us of many things, like the oil leaks are a good sign of mechanically sound condition and that the aircraft won’t be in cruise with its nose up on an angle all the way (As opposed to how it sits on the ground).

We finally then were let out of the lounge and walked across the tarmac to the aircraft. I figured as I was in the last row or two, I might as well just wait, and take my time snapping the aircraft while I was walking out to it. I finally got to the stairs, and made it aboard. The aircraft looked particularly divine, it’s been refurbished very nicely and the seats I believe are former Boeing seats off a jet.

The door was shut, and at in no time, the right Pratt and Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engine was fired up, some spoke spluttered form the exhaust with a spin of the prop, then the engine roared into motion. A minute later, the left engine followed, and the aircraft came to life!