View Single Post
Old 11th December 2012, 06:45 PM

Back into Melbourne

Soon enough, the Mornington Peninsular was showing up on my side, as we crossed over the heads of Point Nepean and entering Port Phillip Bay for our return to Melbourne. I thought it was novel flying over the Bay and over the ships (And seeing flocks of pelicans on the buoys), then we crossed over Williamstown and Newport, with the big freight terminals, then descended over the suburbs as we joined downwind for the circuit onto Runway 17.

The afternoon light was just hitting the horizon, and it was magic light hour, as the cabin was still bathed in rich colours as we turned the circuits for our landing. To any observer on the ground, would have seen this beautiful aircraft in its graceful movements, like I did a few years ago at a very similar time of the day.

We turned final, then floated above runway 17 before, once again, a very smooth and skilled touchdown, with an unnoticeable lowering of the tailwheel, then a slow taxi off the runway back to the Short Stop Jet Charter hangars. We pulled into our parking bay, and the engines shut down, to conclude what has been, an unbelievably, expectation-exceeded, brilliant, awesome, wonderful and just top 11 out of 10 great day out!

After bidding farewell to the crew and to the fellow passengers I got to know throughout the day, I finally left Essendon back to the Motel, nothing could have made this day any better than it already was!

Facebook Video!

I went back home and for weeks on end, I couldn’t stop ranting and raving about what an awesome experience I had with the DC-3 flight as well as all the other vintage transport endeavours I did that weekend. I put together a semi-professional video of all my experiences, with some very dry humour. It's titled "My Weekend Meanderings" and for those with Facebook accounts, can view it here

There are three parts:

Part 1 is about my first day in Melbourne, going on old boats and trams
Part 2 is about my trip to Bendigo on the Steam Trains with the 1920s vintage Chevrolet ride
Part 3 is the DC-3 flight in this trip report

Again, just a warning of the very dull and dry humour in the videos, but aside from that, enjoy! In due course I hope to have separate unedited versions of the video I shot on the DC-3.