Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2010, 09:00 PM

Peter,

I have a similar experience with FKG from Sydney to Perth back in 1986. We didn't divert but I had the pleasure of jumpseat into and out of AYQ. The approach took in the Rock out to the LH side of the aircraft at about 6000' and the departure was directly over the Olgas at 8000'.

Still remember it to this day - if I can find the pictures (I think I still have them) I will post them.
Old 17th February 2010, 07:40 AM

I have the photos but can't find the negatives for my Perth trip.

To highlight the changes in aviation since then I remember spotting at Mascot with a friend and we were walking along Vickers Ave and spotted a F28 in the Ansett hangar. The rear door was not fully open and we just could not see the reg. The F28's had only just started being used in Sydney and we had only seen one at Tulla in 1973.
There was an engineer working near the front of the plane so we got his attention to ask the reg.
To our surprise he came over to the fence and after a few pleasantries he asked us if we would like to 'look over' the plane.
After our initial shock (we were used to being told to p... off) he got us through the security gate and we followed him up the stairs and he showed us the cockpit and switched on the master and after a nice wind up all the instruments lit up.
He spent about ten minutes explaining all the instruments and we then sat down in the cabin for a little chat.
We had both flown before but never been in the cockpit of an airliner so it was a nice experience.