Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 24th January 2009, 08:12 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

What about a Super Hornet taking out EBU in a nearby paddock, I'd like to see that.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
If you think the Super Hornet display is a "yawn fest", then you're obviously not easily entertained Daniel!

What else would you like to see? Before you answer, don't forget there's a recession either on or just about to hit most of the world, and consequently most of the exhibitors this year have scaled back their presence at the show.
Well we've had about 5 previous airshows in non-recession times, and the aircraft involved in those flying displays were basically identical each year, so I guess I can't expect much. What would I like to see? How about some more Russian or British involvement? South Africa? Any of our Asian neighbours? We seem to have so many allies, but barely any show up at our airshow. It's biannual as well!

And yes, the super hornet has been done over and over. Not to say I won't watch and be in awe, but its the same old stuff over and over and with no variation year in year out, yes it doesn't start to become boring.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
Well we've had about 5 previous airshows in non-recession times, and the aircraft involved in those flying displays were basically identical each year, so I guess I can't expect much. What would I like to see? How about some more Russian or British involvement? South Africa? Any of our Asian neighbours? We seem to have so many allies, but barely any show up at our airshow. It's biannual as well!

And yes, the super hornet has been done over and over. Not to say I won't watch and be in awe, but its the same old stuff over and over and with no variation year in year out, yes it doesn't start to become boring.
Oh well, at least it appears we'll have one less car to contend with in the carpark!
Old 24th January 2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Like what Tony? What else are they trying to flog off to us that is available for sale and for display?

Boeing is actually trying to sell us more Super Hornets, plus they and the RAAF think it's important for the taxpayers to see what their money is buying them.

A Naval variant of the Apache

Why do Boeing and the RAAF care though and would the local mug punter?
Old 24th January 2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
The best entertainment for the public to see day by day would VH-EBU facing the muncher.Then they would have an idea what happens to older aircraft when they have had their life.
Is that your new nickname Ray?
Old 24th January 2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Oh well, at least it appears we'll have one less car to contend with in the carpark!
correct...I'll be flying myself in...will give you a wave!
Old 27th January 2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
There are shuttle busses which meet every incoming flight, but NOT shuttle busses back to the terminal to meet outgoing flights as far as I know.
I flew down on Jetstar for the day in 2007, shuttle bus both ways.

the plane was late getting into Sydney, so we were an hour late before getting on the plane, taxied out to 34R.. but the brakes hadn't cooled down so we cleared the runway and lined up again..

Of course, this made us late getting to Avalon, so we had to circle for a while waiting for a hole in the airshow.

Moral of the story: If you're flying into the airshow, take the early flight.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:31 AM

Surprising. I always thought RPT traffic into AV had right of way, and they would move airshow traffic out of the way for them. Seems this isn't the case. I'm sure Jetstar aren't overly happy about this arrangement!
Old 27th January 2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Can almost guarantee it'll be in a hangar come Avalon...

It would be extremely poor publicity by Qantas to leave it outside.

When I was there 4 weeks ago, Avalon was as dry as chips, so unless they get some rain, dust will be a big problem.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:28 PM

No rain in sight and 40c+ for the next 5 days. Ouch!