Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 25th July 2009, 05:15 PM

Default The Classic Singapore Airlines B744 Trip Report (SQ232)

Welcome onboard Singapore Airlines flight SQ 232 to Singapore. For our PPS Club members, it is good to see you on board again. We would also like to welcome passengers travelling on Lufthansa's LH9761, Air India AI7232, Virgin Atlantic VS7232 on board this flight. We hope you'll have a pleasent journey.

That's the end of another semester at uni. I got no exams, no study, no money and no girlfriend ; hence nothing to do in such a chilly winter in Australia over the next month, going home seems the only choice for me.

The emergence for the middle-east carriers on the Kangaroo Route has raised the price war bewteen carriers, where Singapore Airlines seem the cheapest amongst all hence there's no choice but Singapore.

Flight Information
Operating Carrier and Flight Number: Singapore Airlines SQ 232
Coadsharing Carrier and Flight Number: Lufthansa LH9761/Air India AI7232/Virgin Atlantic VS7232
Origin: Sydney - Kingsford Smith T1 (SYD)
Destination: Singapore - Changi T3 (SIN)
Departure Time: 1130
Arrival Time: 1700
Stopovers:Non-Stop
Transfers: Nil
Aircraft Registration: 9V-SPH
Aircraft Type: Boeing 747-400 (B744)
Class of Travel: Economy
Class of Seat: M
Qantas Frequent Flyer Points Accured: 0
V Australia Velocity Points Accured: 0 (3918 on VS Codeshare Service)
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles Accured: 7836

Arrived the Airport and let's see where I should check in:

But the check-in queue seems unacceptable: (This is the scene 75 minutes prior departure)

Having seeing this queue, I decided to walk around the airport a bit to avoid the crowd but still end up with just passing this sign 15 minutes later

I wish I had done that to avoid the queue:

Survived the queue and checked in my luggage, just 28 minutes before departure and still with some passengers behind.

Because of the long queue and probably the slow handling of ground staff, they have to give me this to beat the queue and get on time for the flight:

Back of the voucher:

Old 25th July 2009, 05:16 PM

Just got arrived the gate and they announced: "This is the last and final call for Singapore Airlines flight SQ232 to Singapore. All remaining passengers please proceed to gate 53 for boarding. The gate is closing in 2 minutes"

That was sooo rush that I could only get this shot of the plane before getting in:

And this after vertifying my boarding pass:

View from my seat:

Fiji Airlines. Would you prefer to take this (FJ B744) or Virgin's B737 to Nadi?
I'll take the former as the latter does not provide any service at all.

Safety Information Card - Page 1

Pages 2 & 3

Pushed Back and you can see CZ's A332 on the next gate.
Passengers on that flight seems overwhelmingly feared of Swine Flu hence most passengers waiting there are wearing face mask.

Taxiing to Runway.
United Airlines B744 in Old Livery - Is UA SQ's partner or competitor?

No F1 Livery on today's EY SYD service.

Old 25th July 2009, 05:17 PM

V Australia - Hope we can see it to HKG soon.

SIA's A380: 9V-SKC

And SIA's Subsidary - Virgin Atlantic

Parking alongside with her parent company's A380, waiting for 2.30pm departure

M1 Motorway

Then unfortunately, I missed to take a picture where some guys are trying to take a picture of this plane. Think there might be some board members here.

The plane tooked off and turned left to Singapore. I was lucky enough to take a pic of Sydney CITY - the most beautiful in the world with the most beautiful harbour, the most beautiful people and the greatest parties ever.

Night Kit

Free News paper and Menu for June

First Course: Coke with Peanuts
Think this peanut snack is much better than some other Asian SQ flights which provides mixed nuts

Old 25th July 2009, 05:18 PM

Then we still have to wait for another 1.5 hour for the second course (lunch) to come

The chicken is pretty good tho

Ice-Cream... But I prefer Haagen Dazs
I really hope SQ can provide Haagen Dazs next time.

SQ B744 Cabin Interior - Notice that the big screen is still powered by a projector

Left Australia

Old 25th July 2009, 05:18 PM

Beautiful Tropical Islands

Second Meal is refreshment and I don't know why they can't provide a proper meal.
No fried rice available and this pie seems no good at all

Just a few more duty-free time then we arrived.

A333 and B77W (9V-SWT)

Those 2 are actually the newest aircrafts to SIA, as the A333 is the brand new 9V-STG

Welcome to Singapore.

Comments

Ground Crew: 4/10
It is too slow to hangle all customers for check-in just 20 mins prior departure, and still rushing them to the boarding gate for boarding.

Plane Environment: 5/10
The plane is too crowded with 2 guys sitting next to me so I feel really squzzed and suffered for 7.5 hours with that.

Inflight Crew: 7.5/10
They're pretty polite and caring

Food: 3/10
I hate the pie at last and the chicken is really not enough for lunch.
Hope they can increase the amount of food for meals next time.

Inflight Entertainment: 6.5/10
The screen is too small but still got AVOD... Not enough CDs to listen (esp pop choice, only 30 CDs available compared to 100 on CX's A33Bs)
Also not enough choice on games.

Total: 26/50 (52% - Pass)

SQ 231/232 are now operated by refurnished B773s, which will be my next flight report, but still don't expect a much higher grade from it. Anyway, all SQ B744s will exit Australia on 5/10/2009 ex-SYD and ex-MEL. So if you are still interested it is time to book your flight before they run out!

Thanks for reading!
Old 25th July 2009, 05:32 PM

Great trip report Arthur - while thier interiors are dated, I am sure there are many board members who will miss the SQ 747's.

Everytime I am at the airport I always walk pass the various check in desks and SQ always seems to have that "snake" of people. It would be worse with the A380 flight departing. Clearly it isn't a one off and it has to be addressed.
Old 25th July 2009, 07:00 PM
Prolific Member

Tough cookie to please....8 frown/mad emoticons to one smiley (and I presume that was only because you'd finally uploaded all your pics and finished your report...).

Would a Swedish foot massage have improved things?

Perhaps you should try changing airlines to make the next part of your journey a little less depressing.
Old 25th July 2009, 07:59 PM

Arthur,

Your trip reporting notwithstanding - you were flying in EY, why on earth would you expect to receive a gourmet meal experience?

I suggest if you want something a little more enticing than "chicken or beef", select a special meal prior to departure (and by that I mean, log into the website, load up your booking and choose a special meal preference) - I personally choose the MOML despite not being of the muslim faith, and thoroughly enjoy each meal.

SYDSIN vv is always a 2 meal service, BF and refreshment for SQ220, LN and refreshment for SQ232 and DN and refreshment SQ222 (or refreshment then DN it's been a while since I've taken SQ222) - you try and tell the F/A's that you want a full two meal experience on this service and see what response you get!

You want all the bells and whistles, cough up the coin for C class!
Old 25th July 2009, 11:31 PM

Economy class is called economy for a reason - I mean if you want legroom, better meal or check-in experience there's business class.

The meals in the photo looks better than some that I've seen, presentation is not too bad.. and at least you had icecream!

interestingly enough I flew on KA PEK-HKG and they still had Haagen Daz icecream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
Everytime I am at the airport I always walk pass the various check in desks and SQ always seems to have that "snake" of people. It would be worse with the A380 flight departing. Clearly it isn't a one off and it has to be addressed.
Sarah I used to check in for UA and immediately behind our counter it was Thai check-in. The queue is similar in length... it was amusing as we had double the counters and were sitting around watching their queue.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T
V Australia Velocity Points Accured: 0 (3918 on VS Codeshare Service)
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles Accured: 7836
Arthur,

Can I ask your methodology for working out your mileage accrual?