Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2008, 02:00 PM

Default Canon EOS 450D

Just wondering if anyone has any personal opinions on the above camera.

I'm using an old Canon EOS 300D and think it may be time to update, but need to be convinced that a new one will provide me with that bit more and be worth the cost.

Have done a bit of searching around on the net about it, but personal opinions are always good.

Cheers

Mick
Old 9th May 2008, 02:17 PM

I haven't used the 450D, but had the 400D for a month or so. I didn't like it at all as it is very small and cramped to use (even with my average-sized hands), and it has a cheap plastic feel about it. I switched to the 40D and would definitely recommend it.
Old 9th May 2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Jaworski View Post
I haven't used the 450D, but had the 400D for a month or so. I didn't like it at all as it is very small and cramped to use (even with my average-sized hands), and it has a cheap plastic feel about it. I switched to the 40D and would definitely recommend it.

agree with what Seth said about the 400D. Never owned one but have felt them inside the shops.I also have the 40D with the grip and it feels much better.
Old 10th May 2008, 12:29 AM

Will my 300D lenses fit a 40D?

That's going to be one of the main selling points.
Old 10th May 2008, 07:36 AM

Hey Mick F youbetchadupa you're 300D glass will fit straight onto the 40D!

Do it, you honestly won't regret it. A 40D will set you back around $1300 or so. Photo Continental here in Brisbane have them in stock..... I checked last week ;-)
Old 10th May 2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Will my 300D lenses fit a 40D?

That's going to be one of the main selling points.

Yes they will.The only thing they will not work with is a Film camera as these have a different version.Lenses are either EF which will work with either but ES lenses only work witth Digitals.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:16 AM

Craig,
what can you tell me about Pentax? Are they the Ducks guts or not ? I see you guys have a strong preference for Canon or Nikon, but there's a place in town that can do me good package deal. Any thoughts ? Apparently Canon still have a lens issue as some of you shots seem to indicate an lens quality problem as I'm sure that a reasonable proportion of them seem to be out of focus.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
Yes they will.The only thing they will not work with is a Film camera as these have a different version.Lenses are either EF which will work with either but ES lenses only work witth Digitals.
To expand slightly on Ray's note.

The Canon EF auto-focus lenses may be used on all Canon EOS SLR cameras, both film and digital.

Canon EF-S lenses may only be used on those Canon EOS digital SLR cameras(most not all) that use the APS-C sized sensor. At this time these are the 20/30/40D and the 300/350/400/450D.

Cheers
Old 10th May 2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks Craigo and Chris.

Did some investimigation into the 40D and it would appear to be better suited to my needs anyway, as it also takes the CF flash cards, unlike the 450D which is using some new type that would render my current flash cards useless.

So 40D it is.

Mick M, I hear Pentamax are the bomb, and you should be able to pick yourself up a good deal for cheaps from Parramatta.

Any further opinions and user experiences (of the 40D, not the Pentamax) would be more than welcomed.

Mick
Old 10th May 2008, 01:25 PM
Prolific Member

Well now that you've bought one, your review would be nice!
Closed Thread