Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 8th May 2011, 12:25 PM

Post TRIP REPORT: Virgin Australia SYD-OOL/OOL-SYD

The 7th of May 2011 will sure be a day to remember. In one day of flying I accomplished two targets, my first flight on a “Virgin Australia” aircraft, and also a trip on a personal favourite aircraft “Virgin-ia Blue.” The day before departure my very loving mother booked a daytrip for me to fly up to the Gold Coast with what is now Virgin Australia! The objectives of the day was me flying on Virgin Australia’s only 737-800 painted in the new livery… VH-YFC (named ‘Bondi Beach’) and also to spot with my friend Brock Little.

So on the morning of my flights I woke fairly late (ahhhh a sleep in and 2 flights in a day.. what more could I ask for?) having already prepared the night before, all I needed to do was get dressed and go. So that’s what I did. But before I left my room I first checked to see that VH-YFC was indeed going to be flying me up to the Gold Coast. To my delight, she was! On planefinder I saw her on her way up to BNE. She would route BNE-SYD-BNE-SYD-OOL-SYD-OOL for the day. But staying in bed to check where the aircraft was un-necessary. In fact a simple look out of my window would have done the trick as wouldn’t you know it, YFC has just departed off 34R and was now preforming the ENTRA departure. Objective one of trip complete! I arrived at the airport at about 11:00am for my 1:10pm departure. I thought it was about the time for some breakfast. So after heading through security (I checked in the night before) I proceeded directly to Subway.

A bacon and egg footlong sub hit the spot! And to wash it down.. a great coffee from ‘Pie Face’. The time crept by and eventually I decided to head over to the gate where I would soon be boarding. Gate 34 was all mine today (again *sigh*) but the inbound flight from BNE was about 15 minutes delayed. So I used the spare time I had to check my facebook and too get a quick snap of the E170 that I had flown on just a few weeks previous down to CBR.

VH-ZHD at gate 38. Next to VH-XFB.

Then I took another look at Planefinder to see where my plane was. She was on finals for RWY34L.. and before I knew it the very shiny Virgin Australia 737-800 was pulling into the gate.. turn around time was very quick. Just a few minutes after it had arrived at the gate, our boarding call was announced. Usually when this happens I just keep sitting down and let everyone else go but not today! I was eager to see the new Sky Interior so I was the first to board!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net

Last edited by Andrew Coggan; 8th May 2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: repeated words
Old 8th May 2011, 12:25 PM

DJ523
DATE: 7th May 2011
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 737-81D
SECTOR: Sydney (SYD) – Gold Coast (OOL)
SEAT: 11F

Boarding pass.

I stepped through the front door of the aircraft and it was just an instant reaction. What a beautiful aircraft! So new and clean! I quickly took my seat and waited. No one was sitting next to me.. I had a whole row to myself! Until the last person shuffled through the front door and was eyeing the seat next to me. She did in fact sit next to me.. but I didn’t mind as she was rather attractive eventually we pushed back and the usuall safety demonstrations were carried out and not long after we were taxiing out to RWY16L. My first departure out of Sydney with SODPROPS (simultaneous opposite direction parallel runway operations) in operation! Now as I was on the right side of the aircraft I decided not to take any pics or videos of departure as the sun was beaming down directly into my window. We were number one to depart and were very soon in the air and performing the big left turn at 500ft. As we starting climbing up to FL390 I decided it was time for some pictures.

The rest of the flight was very uneventful. However as I was quite thirsty from the subway, I purchased a can of pepsi and sat back and enjoyed the views. We started our decent just after I saw Coffs Harbour and were quickly on downwind turn for RWY14.

Before I knew it, the captain was turning us onto finals.

Now I knew there were gonna be some spotters waiting for the arrival of YFC, after all it was her first visit to Cooly in the new scheme.. but as I tried to get a pic of my friend (and fellow board member and Spotter Brock Little) I failed miserably! I took a pic to early and then as I took my eye away from my Canon 500D I saw him snapping away..

Too late…

Touchdown…

Reversers!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net

Last edited by Andrew Coggan; 8th May 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 8th May 2011, 12:26 PM

“Ladies and gentleman welcome to Coolangatta airport where the local time is 2:50pm. Blah Blah Blah thanks for flying Virgin AUSTRALIA.” It still sounds weird to hear people say this and even as I type it I wrote Virgin Blue! As we pulled into our gate I waited for the other people to disembark as I wanted a snap of the cockpit. But as I got there, there was no cabin crew to ask and no captain in the cockpit either! So I just took a picture..

I quickly left the terminal and found Brock waiting for me outside.. we hurried down to the spotting location near the RWY14 threshold where there were other spotters… Matt Coughran and Terry were happily snapping away as we arrived . we just got there in time! VH-YFC has just pushed back for the return flight to SYD..

Holiding short..

Lining up..

Other aircraft throughout the afternoon..

VH-VQV holding short of RWY14 as ‘Jetstar 417.’

Cessna 182P

'Powderfinger' livery lining up on RWY14 as ‘Jetstar 493’ down to NTL.

‘Jetstar 444' from MEL.

Well it was time to head back to the terminal for DJ540.. this flight was going to be awesome.. I’ve waited along time to get on board VH-VBY and finally after a year I get her! I arrived back in the terminal as she was flying the downwind leg on the inbound flight from Sydney. Time for a very quick dinner before the flight and probably a good idea to give the parents a call! I had just finished the last of my Burger when I saw the very, very elegant VBY rolling down RWY14!

After the pax of the arriving flight had disembarked, the usually boarding call came around and for the second time that day I was the first to board!
DJ540
DATE: 7th May 2011
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 737-7FE
SECTOR: Gold Coast (OOL) – Sydney (SYD)
SEAT: 10F

Boarding pass.

I boarded the aircraft and took my seat.. and not long after that the doors were shut and pushback had started! On this flight I had just one guy sitting next to me but he chose the aisle seat and straight away closed his eyes and went to slept..

We taxied out to RWY14 and as I was sitting at the front of the plane I could record the take off as there would be light illuminating from the landing lights! We started to roll down the runway and just as we rotated the Camera died! BROCK LITTLE I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH YOU! (I had let Brock use my camera to spot as he was having trouble with his own)

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 8th May 2011, 12:27 PM

We climbed up to an un-specified altitude and the cabin announced that Live’2’air on the flight would be free. WIN!! So I settled watching ‘The Simpsons’ and then the footy. I attempted a few cabin shots during the advertisements…

Note the names of the crew of Virgin Blue at the time of VBY’s delivery.

We started our decent in to Sydney and eventually joined finals for RWY34L. I attempted some night photos but I failed.. 

We arrived at gate 35 and who else would be unloading my plane but Jayden L! After a friendly wave and a quick snap of him working I left VH-VBY! I have now joined the club of people who have flown her! What better way to bring up my 30th ever flight than to fly on my favourite plane!

So I walked back through the Virgin Australia terminal and down the stairs and into a taxi (no line-up for a cab, WIN!!)

And that completes my 2 and a half hour holiday to OOL! Thanks to Brock for a great afternoon of spotting! And also thanks to my mum for letting me go! Thanks for reading if you got down this far! Please note all photos are still unedited as my Photoshop is playing up!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net

Last edited by Andrew Coggan; 8th May 2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 8th May 2011, 02:05 PM

I saw you fly over my house when you began the turn at 500ft!!!

The paint was easy to recognise at my angle (and the low altitude). UN-FORTUNATELY, my Camera was packed away at the time

John
Old 8th May 2011, 03:13 PM

Any photos of the cabin of YFC...?
Old 8th May 2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brownbill View Post
Any photos of the cabin of YFC...?
unfortuneatly no I was waiting for everyone to get out of the plane so I could get one but there was a crew member next to my seat as we disembarked who stopped people at the back of the plane so I could get out..

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 8th May 2011, 06:31 PM

Nice trip report Andrew!!! Sorry about your camera

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 8th May 2011, 08:20 PM

Andrew,

Seems you had a great day,

Thanks for the report.

Brock, mmm maybe you have a bit to answer for!!!!

Kind regards,

Geoff
Old 11th May 2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arena View Post
I saw you fly over my house when you began the turn at 500ft!!!

The paint was easy to recognise at my angle (and the low altitude). UN-FORTUNATELY, my Camera was packed away at the time

John
thats a shame John! The livery is starting to grow on me now.. and it did look amazing with the sun shining down on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Little View Post
Sorry about your camera
no worries mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
Andrew,

Seems you had a great day,

Thanks for the report.

Brock, mmm maybe you have a bit to answer for!!!!

Kind regards,

Geoff
thanks for reading Geoff. It was a great day all up and yes he does have ALOT to answer for!

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net