Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 31st October 2011, 08:00 AM

Default Anyone purchased from Kogan?

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy a DSLR before the end of the year. Originally I was planning to get it within a month of heading overseas to take advantage of the TRS scheme, probably purchase from JB Hi-Fi as the ticketed price on a Canon 600D with Twin Lens kit is $1367 and that's negotiable as you'd expect from JB.

Then, in the newspaper last week I saw an ad for Kogan (www.kogan.com.au), with the 600D a lot cheaper and with free shipping. I went to their website to see the twin lens kit is priced at $899, and now (or last time I looked) they were offering free shipping on that too!

So, has anyone used them? Would anyone buy from them and is there anything to be aware of? It seems items like their Canon and Nikon cameras are shipped from Hong Kong, which all helps them keep their prices down I guess. As they're based online, there'd be no option to use TRS but with that sort of saving I'd not be too bothered! They include a 12 month 'Australian' warranty and this can be extended to 3 or 5 years in total.

Opinions, feedback and experiences welcome

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 31st October 2011, 09:22 AM

I asked the same thing on Facebook the other day and received unanimous positive feedback from five people on Kogan.
Old 31st October 2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Hi Dan,

Several of my customers have purchased new DSLR's from Kogan without issue. Some have reported slow delivery but no other complaints, they all got what they ordered. I guess the only disadvantage is that the Warranty isn't Australian based (Canon Australia won't help), so if something goes wrong you need to send it back to Kogan at your expense and they send it back to HK for repair (I don't believe they carry out repairs locally, but am happy to be corrected!) so there may be a time factor there. That said, I'm on my 4th Canon DSLR now and haven't had any issues with any of them!

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 31st October 2011, 12:00 PM

That's because it's a Canon Dave!
Old 31st October 2011, 01:36 PM

Just ordered a D90 from Citiwide in Aust (read Hong Kong). With extended MAC warranty and local (Sydney) repair centre.

Shopbot.com.au is a good place to look, just read the fine print re shipping charges. Happy to by from a local who isn't going to screw me over and offers good service, but the deal I got was too good to pass up. (70% of local best cash price ing warranties, extra cards and batteries and shipping.)
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

For anyone looking for an alternative to Kogan, JB Hifi are doing very similar deals (online only) on imported stock at http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digit...direct-import/ , just read the fine print on the JB site carefully, if they are actually sending the stock directly to you from HK (rather than just saying that to protect themselves), anything over $1000 will be held in customs and you'll need to pay 10% GST on it. Kogan's stock appears to be held locally and dispatched from Melbourne once your payment has been processed in HK... so no duty or taxes there.

Word is that Canon Japan has started to put pressure on Canon HK to stop suppling the export market, so this might all dry up in the next couple of months.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:29 PM

Know someone who bought an ipad from there no probs at all.