Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 31st May 2016, 09:30 AM
Prolific Member

Default Hainan Airlines takes 13% stake in VA

Both airlines expected to form a joint alliance and stake expected to grow to 19.99% of Virgin over time. It's actually HNA Avion Group which is taking the stake, which has a few airlines:

Member companies under HNA Aviation include Grand China Airlines, Hainan Airlines, Tianjin Airlines, Lucky Air, West Air, Yangtze River Express, my Cargo, Ghana AWA Airlines, Aigle Azur Ailine, HNA Technik, HNA Sales, HNA Aviation Academy, HNA Cargo, myTECHNIC, etc.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviat...30-gp7peo.html

Not sure I would fly with lucky air!

Last edited by MarkR; 31st May 2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 31st May 2016, 07:32 PM

VA A330's to China within 6-12 months.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:06 PM
Prolific Member

That's one way of getting around restrictions on capacity for Chinese airlines!
Old 1st June 2016, 01:12 PM

1st June 2017
Old 1st June 2016, 02:21 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

From Australian Business Traveller ...

Quote:
Virgin Australia will fly to both Hong Kong and Beijing from next year as part of its new alliance with HNA Aviation Group, provided it gets the green light from Australian and overseas regulators.

The application declines to name which Australian city, or cities, these flights would originate from, only that they would be from a “major gateway airport” in Australia.
Full Article
Old 1st June 2016, 11:44 PM

I think from memory the application says that the allocated capacity would be "fully" used by June 2017, the inference is that it could be partially used prior to then.

The process to commence a new route, particularly like Hong Kong or Beijing would not be one that could, or should, be rushed, so you would hope that kick off wouldn't be until the new year anyway, but it isn't impossible to start before then.

I am hoping Brisbane features and given HNA operate to Sydney you would have to think Melbourne and or Brisbane would have to be in the hunt. No (flight) crew based in Brisbane on the 330 but this might change the dynamic a bit (with luck!)
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:39 AM

MEL, OOL & CNS are already part of the HNA network. SYD I didn't know about. I imagine BNE will feature & I have heard there may be some "outside the square" inclusions.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk