Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 19th September 2016, 04:44 PM

Default ATC Work Experience

Hoping I might be able to get some assistance (from those that have far more inner knowledge that I) for my 15 year-old son who is an aspiring controller of the future.

Later this year (November 14), he has a period of work experience due and despite all our best efforts, we have not been able to tap the right people to get a look in for 1 week of work experience in Sydney.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could shed some light and/or share a name that we can contact.

Please feel free to post here or if more appropriate, message me with details and/or tips.

Many, many thanks in advance.
Old 19th September 2016, 05:53 PM
Prolific Member

I am not sure if they do work experience, certainly never had one when I was in ATC but that was a while ago. I was lucky enough to get a week at RAAF East Sale as part of my time with what was the the Air Training Corps, and it was that that helped me get an entry into the system later on.

Maybe drop a line to the Senior Tower Controller, Postal address: PO Box 239, Condell Park, NSW 2200 in the case of Bankstown or Camden, Postal address: PO Box 639, Camden, NSW 2570 where I think they may be more receptive, Sydney is PO Box 211, Mascot, NSW 1460
Old 19th September 2016, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the tips.

We know from a prior period where another student got in, there are opportunities, however, there seems to be a challenge with getting to the right person/people.

Will pursue your suggestions and let you know if any luck.

Appreciate your assistance.
Old 21st September 2016, 09:59 PM
Prolific Member

Best of luck with it, with the right skills and aptitude it can be a great career, although it does have effects on your personal life. Most people cannot engage in a conversation where it's restarted 20 minutes after a break to do something else
Old 24th September 2016, 07:33 PM

Hope you have more luck then I did. Tried to arrange the same thing for my son last year and was told by Airservices they no longer do it.

The RAAF (44 Wing Williamtown ATC) may still do it, but from memory you need to be 16 years or older and they spend a week staying on base.