Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd January 2010, 01:34 PM

Question Spotting Help

HI, My kids are shouting me my first trip to Sydney so i can watch planes all day I am staying at the Stamford Plaza 12th floor with airport views so should be great. MY ? is i have seen a lot of photos taken from " the Beach" and i am wondering how difficult is it for me to get from the hotel to there. Can i walk or a bus maybe, or last resort a cab. Is it far? I am really looking forward to the trip to get a chance to see some great planes as i only get 737 & a320 at my local airport.One last ? do any a380's arrive or depart on fridays? Thanks heaps.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:14 PM
Prolific Member

Best to catch a cab. You can't walk to the beach easily from the Stamford. A380's are a daily occurance...will get movements in the early-mid morning as well as afternoon/evening.
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:51 PM

Here are all A380 movements on Fridays
Qantas
QF12 arr 0825 from LAX
QF11 dep 1510 to LAX
QF31 dep 1740 to SIN & LHR
Singapore Airlines
SQ221 arr 0735 from SIN
SQ222 dep 1640 to SIN
Emirates
EK412 arr 0705 from DXB
EK412 dep 0850 to AKL
EK413 arr 2005 from AKL
EK413 dep 2145 to DXB
Old 2nd January 2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for that info guys. If i cab it to the beach and just say 'take me to the beach plane spotting area" will the cabbies know where i am talking about?
Old 2nd January 2010, 05:43 PM
Prolific Member

Ask them to take you to the old control tower on General Holmes Drive. Look for the Gate 19/Gate 20 signs.
Old 2nd January 2010, 05:48 PM

Short answer Kev is No! They wouldn't (a) have a clue and (b) probably wouldn't want the fare anyway. Also, how would you get back?

The beach is fine if 34L is in use as you get the a/c landing and those taxiing past and then taking off towards you. No facilities at the beach except an ice cream van (if it still goes there)

You are better off either staying in your room, comfort, toilet, food etc or get the Stamford shuttle to the International terminal and go to the observation deck. Comfort, close to amenities and you can get a cab or the shuttle back to the hotel.

That's my advice anyway. Or - hire a car, depending on how long you will be here.
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:04 PM

Kevin, I'd hire a car... That way you can make your own way to the beach, and also visit The Mound, as well as the "parking area" on Qantas Drive near the JetBase... There is now also some parking areas on Foreshore Rd which is parralel to Rwy 16L/34R. At least this way you can move around at your leisure depending on light conditions and runway operations, and it would probably end up costing more in cab fares to and from places.

This is what I do when I visit interstate airports anyway...

Best of luck.
Cheers,
Neil.
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:28 PM

Thanks heaps for the info guys. Looks like hire a car,this is a once in a blue moon trip for me so i want to get as close as possible and hear and smell these magnificent machines. I'm only there for 17hrs so am gonna make the most of it. Thanks again.
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:51 PM

Kevin, I agree with the others. Hire a car - gives you total access, you can be flexible and you can visit all the places, not just some of them. If you only see one or two areas, you won't get the full experience.
Old 2nd January 2010, 07:11 PM

Yep Hiring a car . only $50 so as you say cheaper than a cab . Have got a gps,scanner cameras. can't wait.