Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 9th October 2017, 05:58 AM

Default Qantas Boeing 787 delivery flight

Hope to get chance to see this arrive and take in the new Sheps Mound too!

Australian Business Traveller has this up:

..The flight number is QF7879, and it's scheduled to depart Seattle at noon (local time) on Tuesday October 17, and arrive at Honolulu at 2pm the same day – where we will have an overnight break before being wheels-up at 11.30pm on Wednesday October 18.

The current timetable – which could vary a bit, as these things are wont to do – will see QF7879 touching down at Sydney on Friday October 20 at around 7am. It'll then taxi around past the Qantas lounges at T3 ....
Old 9th October 2017, 09:39 AM
Prolific Member

Timed to arrive with the morning TV shows for a "LIVE" cross
Old 12th October 2017, 07:22 AM

Maybe they could do a taxi past the new Sheps Mound just for us - with a pause there for a few photo's.

When one of the early 787 prototype aircraft visited Manchester they put a good show on for the general public back then. How time flies, I believe it's in a museum now.

Last edited by John Reynolds; 12th October 2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:32 PM

It would nice wouldn't it , but I doubt very much it will happen . The arrival is timed for early breakfast TV , so a taxi to hangar 96 is anticipated .
I wish I could be there , Sheps Mound or not . I'll be in Singapore and will miss it completely .
Dave C
Old 13th October 2017, 09:10 AM

Red face

If there is any live of Qantas B787-9 arrive in YSSY on tv, so which channel 7 or 9? It would be much appreciated.

From Cliff Cook.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:53 AM
Prolific Member

I imagine all channels will cover it Cliff. Qantas will be wanting as much coverage as possible.
Old 13th October 2017, 10:06 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Cook View Post
If there is any live of Qantas B787-9 arrive in YSSY on tv, so which channel 7 or 9? It would be much appreciated.

From Cliff Cook.
The arrival is timed for coverage by both SUNRISE (Ch7) and TODAY (Ch9) shows if you record both you should get a good coverage.

Ch9 (I think) has a advertising deal with QF so they may get a better coverage.

Also, ABC midday/nightly news might run it as well depending on what else is newsworthy on that day.

Crank up your PVR
Old 16th October 2017, 10:16 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default Photos: Qantas 787-9 Dreamliner - Sydney Arrival 20 OCT 17, 7am

Hi all,

Please use this singular thread to discuss spotting locations and to post your photos from the Qantas 787-9 Dreamliner arrival into Sydney this Friday at 7am.

Fingers crossed the rain stays away. Happy snapping! :-)
Old 18th October 2017, 10:31 AM

About to touch down in Honolulu

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZNA Operating as Qantas 7879
Old 20th October 2017, 07:55 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Today saw the delivery of the first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner for Qantas, arriving early this morning from Everett via Honolulu. B789 VH-ZNA performed a fly-by over Sydney Harbour before landing on Runway 16L at Sydney Airport, and then taxiing to Qantas Hangar 96 for a formal welcome ceremony. The general public were asked to submit names for the Qantas Dreamliners, and Great Southern Land was chosen for the first aircraft. After the Dreamliner was towed into the hangar, and the officials exited via the stairs, Australian band Icehouse appeared from on board and performed their anthenic 1982 song "Great Southern Land" with the didgeridoo as part of the group - it sounded great. The inspiration for the song "Great Southern Land" came to Icehouse frontman Iva Davies, as his Qantas flight crossed the country's red centre.

More Images & Comments: http://www.16right.com/…/Qantas-Boeing-787-9-Dreamliner-Del…

Video Coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOPG_zgBNPQ

VH-ZNA used Runway 16L and tracked almost overhead Hangar 96 - looking out the hangar door