Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 20th June 2014, 06:26 PM

Default Asia Trip Part 1: OOL-KUL-HKG-KHH (D7, MH, CI)

Introduction:

Well I was just doing my usual search on the net for cheap flights and saw that Air Asia X had a pretty good sale on flights throughout their network. I let my mate Josh know and we thought, why not! After a bit of planning we worked out when we would fly out and back. Since AAX don’t fly out of Brisbane we would fly out of the Gold Coast. We would fly from OOL-KUL on Sunday 25 May and KUL-OOL on Saturday 7 June.

Between then we would fly from KUL-HKG with Malaysian on May 26. Josh and I would then split up in HKG, I would fly China Airlines from HKG-KHH (Kaohsiung, Taiwan) on May 30. I would spend five nights in Kaohsiung with family who are currently living over there. Josh would fly from HKG-BKK-HKT with Thai Airways on May 31. He would spend 4 nights in Phuket. We would meet back up in KL on June 4. Josh flying HKT-KUL with Malaysian, while I would fly KHH-HKG-KUL with China Airlines and Cathay Pacific. Then finally on June 5 we would fly KUL-SIN-KUL with Air Asia.

I was very much looking forward to going to Asia for the first time! I will split this report into two parts.

Gold Coast Airport:

We stayed at a motel next to Coolangatta Airport the night before as it was an early departure from OOL and we both live in Brisbane. Sydney spotter Bernie who was up in Brisbane for the weekend also stayed the night in Coolangatta. He drove us to the terminal where we checked in and dropped off our bags. Once that was done he picked us back up and drove us to the Skate Park at the end of the runway at Coolangatta where we met up with local spotter Brock.

VH-EBK operating JQ12 from Tokyo-Narita

9M-XXD arrives from Kuala Lumpur as D7206! Our ride to KL!

After our plane arrived Bernie drove us back to the terminal. Thanks again for everything mate! We proceeded through security and customs which was quick and easy. We then just sat down at the gate and relaxed. Soon enough we were on our way out to the aircraft. I have flown on a few A330-200s but this would actually be my first flight on an A330-300! I would fly on four of them on this trip.

May 25, 2014
Air Asia X
D7207
OOL-KUL
9M-XXD A333
Seat 17K
STD/ATD: 0840/0850
STA/ATA: 1510/1522
Flight Time: 8 hours 32 minutes

On our way out to the aircraft…

Boarding

Boarding was quick and easy. It was not a full flight. We were seated in the second economy section which had quite a light load. Not sure about the first section but the third looked packed! I was in Seat 17K while Josh was in 18K. We were both lucky enough to have the two seats next to us un-occupied! We pushed back right on time and made the quick taxi out to RWY14. As we taxied out I could see Bernie and Brock along the fence line photographing our departure.

The morning rush at OOL

Lining up on RWY14

Up we go!

Passing Cobaki Broadwater

Now over Northern New South Wales

Heading towards the coast

Great view of the beach!

Kingscliff

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 20th June 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 20th June 2014, 06:27 PM

Nice big left turn towards Brisbane

We flew directly over Brisbane Airport before making a slight left turn to put us in the right direction.

Redcliffe, with the aerodrome to the left

Unfortunately I was facing the sun until we reached the West Australia Coast, so didn’t get any good photos outside.

About an hour into the flight the food and beverage service commenced. I had pre-ordered a meal when I booked. I chose the chicken teriyaki, I also chose to “maximise my meal”. So I also received apple juice and a piece of chocolate cake. The meal was pretty good, and very cheap!

AAX offer Samsung Galaxy Tab’s as IFE for a charge. I just used my own laptop, tablet, phone and iPod which managed to keep me entertained the whole way. It was great having the row to myself so I could spread out and relax.

Passing over the northern tip of the West Australian coast

Somewhere over the Timor Sea

Approaching Indonesia, Bali would’ve been visible on the left side.

Over the Java Sea

Passing over Malacca Airport as we descend into Kuala Lumpur

Holding over the Malacca Strait

Love that wing tip!

Still holding, saw plenty of ships around!

On finals for RWY33

Moments from touchdown

Reverse thrust! Welcome to Kuala Lumpur!
Old 20th June 2014, 06:27 PM

Malindo B739 taxiing out for departure. Funnily enough I photographed this aircraft one year ago at Boeing Field Seattle just before she was delivered!

Air Asia X A343 9M-XAB

Air Asia X A333 9M-XAA

We parked at the gate about 20 minutes behind schedule. We made our way off the plane and down to customs.

Kuala Lumpur Airport (KLIA2):

Plenty of Air Asia A320s about!

Soon enough we made it to customs which didn’t take too long. We then collected our bags and tried to finds our way out! I didn’t like KLIA2 very much! Very crowded and hard to get through. We eventually caught a cab to our hotel. The Sama Sama next to the main terminal, it is a very nice hotel! We just relaxed there for the evening as we were off to Hong Kong the following day.

Kuala Lumpur Airport (Main Terminal):

We left the hotel at around 7am. The hotel offer transport to the main terminal by golf buggy which was good fun. It only takes 2 minutes to get from the hotel into the terminal. We made our way up to the departure area on level 5. The Malaysian Airlines check in area was very busy but it didn’t take too long for our turn. Got our boarding passes and dropped off the bags easily enough and then proceeded through customs and security. We had to catch the train to the main terminal which was quick and easy. Once there we just had a look around as we had a bit of time to spare before our flight.

Three Malaysian A333s next to each other!

KLIA!

Boeing 777-200ER 9M-MRQ would be taking us to Hong Kong! My first time on a B772!

Bangkok Air A319 HS-PPA

After looking around the terminal we went back to our gate just as boarding started. We proceeded through the second security check before making our way onto the aircraft.

May 26, 2014
Malaysian Airlines
MH72
KUL-HKG
9M-MRQ B772
Seat 12A
STD/ATD: 0915/0925
STA/ATA: 1305/1300
Flight Time: 3 hours 35 minutes

Onboard, parked next to Saudi B744 9M-MPD (ex. Malaysian)

We pushed back pretty much on schedule and taxied out to RWY32R for departure.

Passing the city

Above the clouds

Cruising along…

Food and drinks were soon handed out. I had the chicken and noodles, can’t remember what the other option was. It was very nice, however there was a chilli at the bottom and I didn’t realise until I ate it! Needless to say my mouth was on fire for the rest of the flight! Haha. The meal also came with fruit, yoghurt and a bread roll.

I just spent the flight enjoying the view. I couldn’t use the IFE as when I pulled out the remote from my armrest, the cord came out and I was unable to fix it. At least it wasn’t a very long flight.

Over Vietnam

Old 20th June 2014, 06:28 PM

Nearing Hong Kong

Over Hong Kong as we join finals for RWY25R

Air China Boeing 747-400 B-2445

Aircraft parked up for the day

Cathay, Cathay and more Cathay!

Taxiing around the other side to our gate

Into our gate!

Disembarked the aircraft and we made our way to customs.

Hong Kong Airport:

Good start to spotting in Hong Kong! South African Airways A340-300 ZS-SXD!

Customs was quick and easy. We were staying at the Regal Hotel right next to the terminal. Very easy to find and to get to! Hong Kong Airport is brilliant! So easy to get around! We had a room with a view of the airport which was brilliant!

We had 4 nights in Hong Kong. The rest of Monday and all of Tuesday was spent spotting out the hotel room window as well as a couple of hours at the sky deck. Wednesday we went up to Victoria Peak and to some markets at Mong Kok. Thursday caught the bus to Tung Chung and caught the cable car up to Ngong Ping village. My flight to Kaohsiung didn’t leave until 1640 so I spent most of Friday spotting. Here are some of my photos from my stay in Hong Kong.

Some of my favourite movements I caught in Hong Kong…

Old 20th June 2014, 06:29 PM

Old 20th June 2014, 06:30 PM

Those are just some of the thousands of photos I took spotting at Hong Kong. More can be found here…
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brando...57644858298162

Photos from sightseeing in Hong Kong can be found here…
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brando...57644577672100

At around midday I left the hotel and went to the departures area to check in for the flight to Kaohsiung. Josh still had another night in Hong Kong. He flew on HS-TGT from HKG-BKK and HS-TJB from BKK-HKT the following day. Got my boarding pass and dropped off my bag. I then proceeded through customs and security; I had about 4 hours before my flight to Kaohsiung. The terminal is fantastic for spotting. No secondary security or anything to block the view. You can get straight up to the glass.

KLM nearly ready to head back to Amsterdam. Love the KLM livery!

China Airlines A333 B-18311 in Skyteam livery. I was happy to finally get a decent shot of her! Never been able to catch her in BNE apart from when she had the “Sweet” livery.

Air Astana Boeing 757-200 P4-FAS being prepared for the flight back to Kazakhstan.

El Al B772 4X-ECC

British Airways A380 G-XLED

Ethiopian Boeing 767-300ER ET-ALJ

At around 1530, B-18355 arrived from Kaohsiung, so she would be my ride!

Soon enough boarding commenced!

May 30, 2014
China Airlines
CI948
HKG-KHH
B-18355 A333
Seat 8A
STD/ATD: 1640/1657
STA/ATA: 1800/1804
Flight Time: 1 hour 7 minutes

On-board, next to Fiji Airways.

Climbing out after taking off on RWY25L

We made a 180 degree turn to point us towards Taiwan.

Very quick flight from HKG-KHH

The crew rushed through the cabin with food and drinks. Dinner was served on the flight which was chicken and rice. Also came with a slice of apple crumble. It was quite a nice meal.

Descending into Kaohsiung

We got a great view of the city on finals for RWY09

Old 20th June 2014, 06:30 PM

Vacating the runway after landing on RWY09

We had a quick taxi to the terminal and were soon disembarking the aircraft.

Kaohsiung Airport:

This one caught my eye! The Chinese carriers sure do know how to do nice special liveries!

Customs and baggage claim didn’t take too long. Soon I walked into the arrivals area where I was met by my uncle and my 8 and 7 year old cousins. I was very much looking forward to spending 5 days with them! They live around half an hour from the airport.

Whilst in Taiwan my uncle and aunt showed me around. There were lots of things to see and do. We also caught the high speed train to Taipei for the day. I had a fantastic time, and it was nice to have a bit of a break from plane spotting!

Photos from my time in Taiwan can be found here…
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brando...57645247872244

Well that is it for part 1 of the report. I will post part 2 in the coming days.

Thanks for reading!

Brandon
Old 21st June 2014, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Thoroughly enjoyed part 1 Brandon. Some great photos! I am looking forward to part 2.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29-31MAR LAS-ANC/FAI-ANC-LAS AS
08-09APR LAS-SNA-LAS WN
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 21st June 2014, 08:30 AM

Fantastic trip so far, loving the photos too!! I do agree, the KLM livery is one of a kind! Of the three airlines so far, which would you have to say is the better? Looking forward to the second part!
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:57 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I would have to agree on the KLM livery.

Not a lot of change since 1982 - more vivid light blue, wider dark blue line and all white bottom half of fuselage ...

KLM B747-200 PH-BUO departing Sydney in March 1982